Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hobby you want to start

Hobby you want to start

Mine is Hiking. Real Hiking not just I am going for a walk hike. I started the hilly dirt trails in the park. I really focus on the event not the speed as in running. Today I made it over the north side which has flooding and make shift log bridges. When I was on the south end a couple yelled You made it over the bridge!

With this hiking thoughts I have been looking at more advanced trips. The Appalachian Trail one - three day tour guided sounds wonderful. I have never done such an event but feel I am fit enough. I have been looking at Northern MI trails too.

Quote Originally Posted by BikingLady View Post
    Mine is Hiking. Real Hiking not just I am going for a walk hike. I started the hilly dirt trails in the park. I really focus on the event not the speed as in running. Today I made it over the north side which has flooding and make shift log bridges. When I was on the south end a couple yelled You made it over the bridge!

With this hiking thoughts I have been looking at more advanced trips. The Appalachian Trail one - three day tour guided sounds wonderful. I have never done such an event but feel I am fit enough. I have been looking at Northern MI trails too.
    Northern MI? Do tell.

This sounds like a great hobby to pick up -- physically active, can be done with almost no gear (for short hikes), or with minimal gear for longer hikes (I know someone who took "The Way" over in Spain with one rucksack).

As a former "hobby hoarder" (someone who takes on a bazillion hobbies), I am often tempted to pick up hobbies. But I have been learning to control this for a couple years now.

Have been researching and starting to do birding trips where we hike too. Also, looked into various large flea markets and other things to do in each area.... frugal entertainment.

Yppej
    I don't know if it qualifies as a hobby but I really want to get back to traveling. Since a breakup in 2014 I have found new traveling companions, but switched jobs and am waiting eagerly to earn vacation time.

My husband and I have been talking about taking up kayaking. We live just a couple of miles from the river and we would love to give this a try. What is keeping us from doing it is the cost and we don't know anyone who owns kayaks that we can borrow.

We took up biking a few years ago and love it and next weekend we are going to attempt to hike Mount Monadnock for the first time.

Yppej
    I climbed Mt. Monadnock when I was in my 40's. It took 5 hours and I should have brought a walking stick. Someone took pity on me and gave me a ski pole. The views are amazing and it was worth it.

I'll probably just get back to the ones I've neglected lately: quilting, polymer clay, collage. Maybe a little crochet, genealogy. I have a backlog of interests I haven't indulged lately. Ethnic cooking, maybe? Phrenology?

I'm trying to cut back on hobbies. My free time fills up and my storage areas are crowded, although it all pretty much gets used. The last hobby I picked up was birding a few years ago. That's a good hobby. You don't necessarily have to travel far and can be combined with hiking, biking, walking or sitting on the back porch. A little bit of equipment purchases, but not a lot, and there is usually an Audubon or other local tour for social connections if a person is likes groups. It opened up a new aspect of appreciation for the outdoors for me. Like all hobbies, a person can get pretty carried away with finding the rare bird or travelling to exotic places, but it's not necessary. My personal question is which hobby to drop.

Tried singing last September with a new choir starting out. I found out that I am an alto vs thinking I was a squawky mezzo all this time. I am working on learning how to get the notes correct in pitch. A dear friend gave me the score for "Doe a deer, a female deer..." in most of the key signatures that I would use. That is my new hobby, practicing this song in all the key signatures. I must get back to my painting again as well now that I have a nice studio set up downstairs. Gardening has been taking up my spare time though.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I'm another "just want to find time for the hobbies I already have." Garden is better this year and I worked in it today. Worked in the clay studio too and start a class tomorrow.

Thread Information