Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hobby you want to start

I am thinking of more things to try. I am at that age where if I don't do it now, maybe never. Swimming this summer, is on the list too. Husband flew with a friend when were down south, loved it. Yet time is limited at all that stuff. Two weeks ago I said if you don't get your license now, when? He started the class and has a time frame to finish. I am glad for him and his new hobby.

My goal this summer is to haul out, dust off and air up the tires on my mountain bike*. I live in the country on gravel/sand roads and it is not the easiest to negotiate but I think if I set small goals (at least to get out and do it) I can get back into biking which I enjoyed many years ago.

*and to ride the bike, not just get it out and gussied it up.

I just want to find time for my permaculture and backyard gardening activities. It seems it takes forever to do the simplest things, thanks to my busy work schedule, and occasional gridlock between DH and I on how to handle things. I had to head out to the airport on Sunday afternoon, but saints be praised I was able to roust DH out of the house to the local garden center and to Home Depot.

Regarding my deer problem, I decided to take advantage of our PVC hoops and cover them with deer netting and plant fewer tomatoes in the raised bed to allow for sufficient vertical growth. This is instead of building a fence. We're going to double down with the ScareCrow motion sensor. That should do it. If not, we're stuck building a fence next year. The deer in our neighborhood are like pets. They're barely afraid of us, and they stare down the dog as if to say, "haha, you can't touch me.. you're on a leash!"

I would also like to spend more time hiking. BikingLady, the idea of a guided hike on the Appalachian Trail is really appealing to me, but a little ambitious. Would love to hear from you if you decide to do it!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Diving has taken over everything! I'm up to 36 dives. I'm still having some challenges, but I keep plugging away. I'm much more active, feel better, and am really enjoying myself. Bubble therapy! I now swim a mile at least twice a week to help get myself into better shape. I've lost about 10 lbs, too!

This is on the rock crusher at the former limestone quarry where I most frequently dive. The statue on the crusher is a shark with the Tasmanian devil face. We love our Taz!

Practicing carrying a pony bottle (the small yellow tank) for emergency redundant air for my upcoming deeper dives on the Great Lakes.

Once I'm better at buoyancy and such, I will really go to town with underwater photography. I have a small, inexpensive GoPro knockoff that has taken some good pics. My dive buddy took these pics with a GoPro. I will plan to take an uw photography class sometime in the not too distant future.

One of these winters, I may drag DH to the English Dancing group. While he jas no sense of fhythm, he is good at remembering patterns, so he can do,this kind f dancing probably better than me. It woild be a good winter activity.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    One of these winters, I may drag DH to the English Dancing group. While he jas no sense of fhythm, he is good at remembering patterns, so he can do,this kind f dancing probably better than me. It woild be a good winter activity.
    You reminded me that one of the big things on my bucket list is to learn the Argentine tango. Ever since I saw True Lies I've wanted to learn, and watching season after season of Dancing with the Stars reinforces it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

A friend invited me to see the local class in English Country Dancing. It is lovely to see and those participating were really enjoying it. It is a pay-as-you-go class. The sound system that the instructor used echoed in the large space and reverberated so I couldn't make out the directions with my hearing aids. I chose not to try it. Apparently others have found the same problem without hearing aids so may I suggest that you check out the sound system first?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information