Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I love my neighbors.

I love my neighbors.

How often can you say that?

Our house is old, and one of its issues is the back steps, which were uneven, and it has no handrail going up the 4 steps to the door. It's bad enough for me, but it's been TERRIBLE for DH, who is unsteady on his feet when sober, never mind when he's been drinking.

We meant to get a carpenter here, but disagreements on how do get this done, plus just time going by kept us from doing it.

Our neighbor is a roofer but is also extremely skilled in building and carpentry, and last weekend he OFFERED, without our asking, to fix the steps. So he's out there right now, building away--he took away the old steps and created new ones, and is now working on the handrail. He bought the wood himself (of course we'll pay him for that), but insists on nothing else.

AND not only that, we have also had another one of our neighbors, a 17-year old, offer to make us the handrail, too! (But C__ beat him to the punch)

Talk about community. We sure lucked out.

What would you do as a thank-you?

We were thinking of a gift card, since I know he won't take cash--so either a restaurant, or a gift card to Dick's or Cabela. (He and his partner are both serious outdoorsy people--she's the one I spoke of in another thread who hunts with a cross-bow.)

What would be tactful, but enough to show our appreciation? I'm not used to being obligated to neighbors!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

A gift card is great. I think 50 would be great. Very nice neighbors.

And even if you had gone out to find someone to do that work getting someone to do small jobs like that it’s practically impossible in this Trump economy.

$50 is a nice amount it’s not insulting $100 even would be OK and not insulting. I would not do it to a restaurant card because a lot of those DIYers roll their eyes at spending big bucks in a restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I would not do it to a restaurant card because a lot of those DIYers roll their eyes at spending big bucks in a restaurant.
    That's EXACTLY what DH/DS and I thought!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

i would suggest home made meals or jams or desserts or all of the above. You're a potter right? How about a nice serving platter?

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    i would suggest home made meals or jams or desserts or all of the above. You're a potter right? How about a nice serving platter?
    I'm not a potter--I think you're thinking of FloatOn.

But to your point, it did cross my mind to make them a few Friday night meals. We're here all the time, but they're part-time--they come out here from work on Friday nights to spend the weekend--it might be nice to not have to think about what to make and then cook it after a long work week. But, we're at the end of the season. They'll probably only be here one more weekend (October starts bow season).

Good neighbours are a blessing. The problem ones are the kindly souls who will accept nothing in return.

My one neighbour mows a small strip of grass that we share. I said that I would like to contribute towards the effort. They love wine so once a year, I buy a ($20) bottle of wine that has a high rating.

Another neighbour is wonderful as well. They have my house and mailbox keys in case mine are misplaced and I am very grateful for that.

But they want to house-watch by doing a daily walk-though my house whenever I am away. There is no favour that I can reciprocate as family surrounds and supports them. He had some health issues that caused me concern if he went downstairs. I phoned my insurance company who advised that they recommended a walk-through every 48 hours. When I offered a donation to a charity of their choice, I had no idea how much $$ depending on how long I was away. I don't want to be on any mailing list for any charity which was a problem with the charity he suggested so I donated $50 cash to him.

I also wanted to be free to go whenever I wanted and not schedule my life to synchronize with their life.

Finally, i decided to ask my dog walker who is available by text at any time and, I found out, also does security checks for $10 a visit. If I get held up anywhere, I send her a text and she walks my dog or if I have to be away for any reason I text her for a walk through. She has a key to my house. This is her business and she lives nearby.

I told my neighbour about this doing this routinely and he is hurt. I am independent by nature so want my freedom from emotional stress caused by neighbours who are kindly but too helpful.
    Moral of this story - good neighbours are wonderful but sometimes setting boundaries can create problems.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    That's EXACTLY what DH/DS and I thought!
    Yeah, that is what city folks do! Haha

Razz, interesting incident. I can see that too much earnest neighborliness is an impediment.

Pie is my suggestion.

Thread Information