Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 51

Thread: A Different Way: Living Simply in a Complex World

  1. #21
    Senior Member KayLR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SW Washington State
    Posts
    1,476
    I was curious how and where the class was promoted. Maybe more women saw it than guys did?
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

  2. #22
    Senior Member razz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,107
    Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    I was curious how and where the class was promoted. Maybe more women saw it than guys did?
    Has the wording method of marketing been mentioned or implied to go with Kay's point.
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

  3. #23
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    6,953
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Has the wording method of marketing been mentioned or implied to go with Kay's point.
    Well, it went out to some community and volunteer organizations and to some liberal churches. There was also work of mouth, like: "Hey, friend, you might like this class..."
    I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

  4. #24
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    The class is starting to pick up the pace and people are really opening up with each other.

    Crowd-sourcing this question:
    Invariably these classes are almost all women; for instance, this class is 8 women and me (the only guy). Any guesses as to why this might be the case?
    Because most women are relentlessly trying to fix themselves? You could make the point that this is "self-actualization," but it seems like we have internalized the idea that we are never enough as we are.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    6,953
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Because most women are relentlessly trying to fix themselves? You could make the point that this is "self-actualization," but it seems like we have internalized the idea that we are never enough as we are.
    This is exclusive to women?
    I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

  6. #26
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    6,953
    It is interesting, this class. I have some folks in here who have taken the NWEI voluntary simplicity course already -- even more than once. As I have been in class with them before I saw their condition before, during, and after the first course.

    Unfortunately some of these folks have not changed at all -- same problems, same complaints, same unmet goals. I am brainstorming things that might empower them to make some changes that they want.

    But then, perhaps, maybe they just don't want it enough.

    I notice that people will skip a session of this course because they are "too busy."

    So I think: "If you are so busy you have to miss class today, then you really need to be in class today."
    I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,410
    UL, lol!

    Like the the women who get pregnant because "they can't afford birth control" (I have known two. - really made me want to smack them in the side of the head and see if their brains would reboot.)

  8. #28
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    10,676
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    UL, lol!

    Like the the women who get pregnant because "they can't afford birth control" (I have known two. - really made me want to smack them in the side of the head and see if their brains would reboot.)
    please dont tell me there are women that stupid, and mean to their children. Please.

  9. #29
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    6,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    This is exclusive to women?
    I don't think self-improvement is exclusive to women. I'm a rabid "self-improver"--My hero in high school was Ben Franklin, because of his self-improvement principles. I wrote my first self-help poem when I was about 8.

    Yes, I'm a woman, but all the self-actualizer sites I go to are heavily populated by men. I do Brian Johnson mostly (I LOVE him), but have done Steve Pavlina, a little bit of James Altucher. These self-actualizer gurus see self-improvement as a "growth mindset"--not a self-blaming mindset at all.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  10. #30
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    6,953
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    please dont tell me there are women that stupid, and mean to their children. Please.
    You know there are.
    I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •