Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Different Way: Living Simply in a Complex World

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A Different Way: Living Simply in a Complex World

In June I start facilitating the new simple living course from the Northwest Earth Institute. It is called A Different Way: Living Simply in a Complex World. We have 11 people signed up for the class.

I have facilitated the Voluntary Simplicity class a bunch of times, but this course is like part two.

The articles look excellent! I expect there will be some great conversations and revelations.

If anyone else is interested in doing this course over on their side of the street, let me know. I can share some ideas for getting it going.

As "cheese ball" as it sounds, doing these courses really lights up my life.

I have always wanted to facilitate one of their courses--they look amazing. I'll bet you do a great job.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I would live that, I agree that the groups I help lead mean a lot to me personally and socially, would you message me some info?

I have been reading all these simple and green ideas lately, most of them I do or have done. Especially when I stayed home I did every frugal eco friendly thing there was. It is more challenging in some ways but easier in others

UL, I am glad you are out there in the world leading these sessions. I think the real core message is "self actualization through voluntary simplicity" and I would like all Americans to be exposed to the idea.

We had the orientation meeting last night. Only 75% of folks showed up. Hopefully we'll have full attendance next time. People had other obligations -- they have complex lives, apparently. haha

The class is starting to pick up the pace and people are really opening up with each other.

Crowd-sourcing this question:
    Invariably these classes are almost all women; for instance, this class is 8 women and me (the only guy). Any guesses as to why this might be the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    The class is starting to pick up the pace and people are really opening up with each other.

Invariably these classes are almost all women; for instance, this class is 8 women and me (the only guy). Any guesses as to why this might be the case?
    Men don't ask for directions?

Because most women are relentlessly trying to fix themselves? You could make the point that this is "self-actualization," but it seems like we have internalized the idea that we are never enough as we are.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Because most women are relentlessly trying to fix themselves? You could make the point that this is "self-actualization," but it seems like we have internalized the idea that we are never enough as we are.
    This is exclusive to women?

This is exclusive to women?
    I don't think self-improvement is exclusive to women. I'm a rabid "self-improver"--My hero in high school was Ben Franklin, because of his self-improvement principles. I wrote my first self-help poem when I was about 8.

Yes, I'm a woman, but all the self-actualizer sites I go to are heavily populated by men. I do Brian Johnson mostly (I LOVE him), but have done Steve Pavlina, a little bit of James Altucher. These self-actualizer gurus see self-improvement as a "growth mindset"--not a self-blaming mindset at all.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information