Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A Different Way: Living Simply in a Complex World

I was curious how and where the class was promoted. Maybe more women saw it than guys did?
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    I was curious how and where the class was promoted. Maybe more women saw it than guys did?
    Has the wording method of marketing been mentioned or implied to go with Kay's point.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Has the wording method of marketing been mentioned or implied to go with Kay's point.
    Well, it went out to some community and volunteer organizations and to some liberal churches. There was also work of mouth, like: "Hey, friend, you might like this class..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    The class is starting to pick up the pace and people are really opening up with each other.

Crowd-sourcing this question:
    Invariably these classes are almost all women; for instance, this class is 8 women and me (the only guy). Any guesses as to why this might be the case?
    Because most women are relentlessly trying to fix themselves? You could make the point that this is "self-actualization," but it seems like we have internalized the idea that we are never enough as we are.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Because most women are relentlessly trying to fix themselves? You could make the point that this is "self-actualization," but it seems like we have internalized the idea that we are never enough as we are.
    This is exclusive to women?

It is interesting, this class. I have some folks in here who have taken the NWEI voluntary simplicity course already -- even more than once. As I have been in class with them before I saw their condition before, during, and after the first course.

Unfortunately some of these folks have not changed at all -- same problems, same complaints, same unmet goals. I am brainstorming things that might empower them to make some changes that they want.

But then, perhaps, maybe they just don't want it enough.

I notice that people will skip a session of this course because they are "too busy."

So I think: "If you are so busy you have to miss class today, then you really need to be in class today."

UL, lol!

Like the the women who get pregnant because "they can't afford birth control" (I have known two. - really made me want to smack them in the side of the head and see if their brains would reboot.)

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    UL, lol!

Like the the women who get pregnant because "they can't afford birth control" (I have known two. - really made me want to smack them in the side of the head and see if their brains would reboot.)
    please dont tell me there are women that stupid, and mean to their children. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    This is exclusive to women?
    I don't think self-improvement is exclusive to women. I'm a rabid "self-improver"--My hero in high school was Ben Franklin, because of his self-improvement principles. I wrote my first self-help poem when I was about 8.

Yes, I'm a woman, but all the self-actualizer sites I go to are heavily populated by men. I do Brian Johnson mostly (I LOVE him), but have done Steve Pavlina, a little bit of James Altucher. These self-actualizer gurus see self-improvement as a "growth mindset"--not a self-blaming mindset at all.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    please dont tell me there are women that stupid, and mean to their children. Please.
    You know there are.

Thread Information