Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: A Different Way: Living Simply in a Complex World

I didn't know we were having an arguement about wether or not kids made your life more complex. Of course they do. Underwear makes your life more complex. I simply was trying to explain, as asked, how my life with kids at home was simpler than my life with kids grown and gone.

First, I never disagreed with your ecological arguement. (Although, I think being a parent made my life less impactful, but not enough to compensate for the impact of even one of the humans I helped add to the planet)

and second, I said my life was simpler "in some ways"

yes, kids are more expensive than dogs. Hopefully they are around longer. No kids and no dogs are obviously even cheaper.

there are a variety of social and economic roles that I need other people to fill. Some of them used to be filled by my kids (we just hired people to do drywall. As a severe introvert this disrupted my life and stressed me out. Last time we did drywall, we used our home grown crew. Pretty sure it was cheaper, definitely far less stressful, totally on my schedule.) also, as stated, raising kids made it SIMPLE for me to avoid many societal expectations that I wished to avoid. Yes, I can still avoid them, but without the socially acceptable excuse, people tend to make it difficult and complicated.

so in some ways my life was simpler. It was also more expensive and more complex (although richer - like your food analogy). The complexities and demands of raising kids were for the most part more pleasant for me than the complexities and demands of being an empty nester in American society. I was only a childless adult for 5 years, and I was mostly in school or working poor, so no real useful data on my life there.

Last night we concluded a course of this NWEI program with a potluck. Here is picture of this course's itty bitty community of simple living folks.

R0001045.jpg

Everyone is smiling except one unhappy person.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    Everyone is smiling except one unhappy person.
    Looks like someone poked him in the eye.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Last night we concluded a course of this NWEI program with a potluck. Here is picture of this course's itty bitty community of simple living folks.

R0001045.jpg
    Good to see someone has a very simple spoon/fork combo utensil on a bring your own real plate (not styrofoam) but that looks like a disposable water bottle at the edge of the photo. Someone failed the course! Start over!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Looks like someone poked him in the eye.
    That is fairly accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    Good to see someone has a very simple spoon/fork combo utensil on a bring your own real plate (not styrofoam) but that looks like a disposable water bottle at the edge of the photo. Someone failed the course! Start over!
    That is my sporknife.

That bottle is one the guy actually reuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    That is fairly accurate.
    My second choice was that someone had taken minimalism too far.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    My second choice was that someone had taken minimalism too far.
    Ummm, no.

I had to have an ophthalmological surgery done. And things like the numbing drops and lidocaine don't work on me. And I told them this. So when they started the procedure I asked: "Do you have any tongue suppressors?"

The nurse said: "No... no we don't. But I can give you a wad of gauze to bite down on."

She stuffed that in my mouth. And lemme tell ya... I needed it. It was like civil war surgery.

UL, I had something similar twice. I once stepped on a sewing needle imbedded into shag carpet. The entire thing was in my heel. They had to cut the heal open to pull it out. The numbing didn’t work and they were too busy to wait for another shot to take effect. When I had my first child the shot they gave me for the episiotomy froze my foot instead. So I was sewn up with no numbing. Not fun.

Thread Information