Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The bottom fell out...

The bottom fell out...

I have kind of felt this coming for about 18 months or two years.

I just don't feel the love for fishing I once did. And yesterday I went fishing and the thrill was just gone.

Gone.

For the past 18-24 months I felt a slow decline in my interest in fishing and in my joy derived from it. But I would still have great days out there and think I was reinvigorated.

But incrementally I lost the joy and interest.

I think part of this is due to accomplishing fishing goals. I have fished in a variety of lakes, had many great times fishing in rain or in storms, I have eaten delicious fishes, I have shared memories of fishing with my BIL and even with my dad. I have caught numerous "Fish Ohio" in Catfish, Carp, Bluegill, Crappie, and Rock Bass.

But now I just feel like the era has ended.

And I am now rudderless without a central hobby to gain meaning and identity from.

Thoughts? Anyone else experience this?

I've given up hobbies like singing after many years (probably in my case because I never feel I got to the level I wanted to be in it and it became demoralizing and even though I had practiced a ton before then I just couldn't bring myself to AT ALL anymore, no matter what, and at that point I was just wasting money on lessons).

If you want to be outdoors, perhaps hiking .. or birding (many to identify and never know what you will see) ... or studying wild plants. Really depends on what one likes though and may not be any of these.
    Trees don't grow on money

I'm sorry you lost your passion for your hobby

So, should we expect a name change request? Maybe UltraProudAtheist?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Wow, and you were really hooked on fishing, too. Well, maybe something else will lure you in.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    So, should we expect a name change request? Maybe UltraProudAtheist?
    Yes, please.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Wow, and you were really hooked on fishing, too. Well, maybe something else will lure you in.

I understand. I have never understood how one can have a lifetime of the same hobby and still feel the thrill with out a break from it at one time or another.

Yppej
    Well at least you are accepting it and not chasing new, expensive fishing highs like traveling to the coast for deep sea fishing of ocean species.

My sister in law is what I call a serial hobbyist. Every few years she'll ditch the old one, start a new one, and rarely look back. Over the years we have received gifts of quilts, pottery, and soap to confirm this. If we lived closer to them we'd also have had copious quantities of freshly grown vegetables too at one point. Apparently she has decided that we are not interested in knitted items for some reason. That's her current hobby but we have not been the beneficiaries of her efforts on this one. At least not yet.

So if I were you I wouldn't worry. Just go after what looks interesting and do it as long as it's fun. Once it stops being fun there's always a new hobby around the corner.

And for what it's worth, our cats still use the pottery every day. Although they don't seem to care if it's the one with their initial or their brother's initial...

Thread Information