Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The bottom fell out...

For me, hobbies have normally turned into a warm mythical location. Things I have enjoyed and done both as a fun and learning thing, have mostly turned into work and things I hate. I have kept the tooling, because power tools have helped me fix house and other stuff, car tools for vehicle repair (some are on long term loan to an extended family garage, gives me lift use)
    I am getting back into a hobby that I was interested in when I bought my house. Back then it was the hobby or buy the house, now I am into it because it has come so far down in price and it is another skill set. I can see two options that those that get into it do, buy stuff like crazy, or keep what you like best and have some things you try and trade for other stuff.
    So maybe currently UltraliteAimless?

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    So maybe currently UltraliteAimless?

Williamsmith
    Keep your fishing stuff. The passion may come back. This might become hard....as a minimalist you will be naturally prone to letting it go.

It may take many years before interest returns. I started playing guitar seriously in 1980. My passion for playing varied depending on my stress level. It was most enjoyed during low stress times but was used as a stress reliever during other times.

However, in post traumatic stress disorder it is common to lose your passion completely for a time until healing has occurred. That is was happened to me. I did not touch my guitar for long periods and when I did it was without joy.

Now I am very actively playing, learning new things and accepting that my skill level is well below where I'd like to be.

As a lifelong hunter, my passion for it was never greater than when I was a teen and just beginning. I was a loner. Later it turned into a social activity. As we age, are brains are altered chemically. Some things that used to trigger pleasure no longer do. Time is the only way to really determine this.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Keep your fishing stuff. The passion may come back. This might become hard....as a minimalist you will be naturally prone to letting it go.

It may take many years before interest returns. I started playing guitar seriously in 1980. My passion for playing varied depending on my stress level. It was most enjoyed during low stress times but was used as a stress reliever during other times.

However, in post traumatic stress disorder it is common to lose your passion completely for a time until healing has occurred. That is was happened to me. I did not touch my guitar for long periods and when I did it was without joy.

Now I am very actively playing, learning new things and accepting that my skill level is well below where I'd like to be.

As a lifelong hunter, my passion for it was never greater than when I was a teen and just beginning. I was a loner. Later it turned into a social activity. As we age, are brains are altered chemically. Some things that used to trigger pleasure no longer do. Time is the only way to really determine this.
    Well, I will still likely go fishing here or there, like if my BIL asks fervently or if my dad wants to catch trout here in the early spring.

So I will hold onto the stuff for at least another year. But the amount of gear I have is very, very minimal. One rod & reel, a "tackle box" that fits in my back pocket, and a net -- little more, really.

Williamsmith has wise words about PTSD!
    Depression can also take away one's pleasure in activities one has enjoyed in the past.

Go back to when you were age 10 and think about what you loved to do then. Find a form of that activity/ies to refresh yourself. I once heard an excellent talk about the importance of remembering the joys and interests of a 10 year old. It seems that it is critical time in one's life. It certainly was true for my life.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

yea occurred to me it could be stress, I mean if I was doing school and work I'd be too stressed to have much joy for anything else I have to say (already hard to). But since there is no great harm from walking a way from a hobby either way, no need to stay with it - but could be stress.
    Trees don't grow on money

I have a few hobbies that I've considered life-long, including fishing, but have sometimes taken long periods away from them. A couple others have been dropped totally due to loss of interest. My only advice would be to go with your heart and not force things one way or the other.

I started fishing with my dad when I was a kid. We sat on folding chairs by lakes and fishing with salmon eggs out of the jar for stocker trout. Great memories, but I don't fish that way anymore and it would seem boring. Fishing has a lot of variations to explore. I don't like to fish from a boat anymore, but given more time and more outdoor gear clutter I could fish from a belly boat or kayak. I love stream fishing. In younger years I saved up the pennies and went to Mexico a few times for deep sea fishing. Great memories. I know guys who fish for carp with flies and fly rod. Again, not for me, but I could see the pleasure in it.
    Last edited by Rogar; 5-31-17 at 2:56pm.

Would you enjoy teaching others about fishing? Maybe Scouts, urban kids, vets, etc.? Might bring back some of the joy sharing it with others.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

UA, have you ever tried flyfishing? many just love it. Especially women. Might be a good way to meet someone!
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information