Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 104

Thread: 43%! 43%! 43%!

  1. #61
    Moderator gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,461
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Does Rob get pepper sprayed at his fabulous lawn parties in the 85006?
    Bae, with all due respect, what part of the protests that I have participated in not being parties don't you understand? I'll make it clear for you then: The protests I have had the chance to be part of are not parties. Nor have any of them been located in the 85006, for that matter. And it's really not nice using the word fabulous as you have here - please don't bait like this. I have not done such with you in the course of our long running disagreements. Is there any reason why I am not worth the same respect in return that I have given you? Rob

  2. #62
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,864
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    And it's really not nice using the word fabulous as you have here - please don't bait like this.
    For many of us, I think it might be like the old baloney/bologna dilemma. In my little slice of the world, I eat baloney, even though some manufacturers insist on printing bologna on the package. It would drive me crazy to think they were being insensitive to my upbringing, my dialect or my preferences, that's why I don't.
    As far as fabulous goes, when I last took a vocabulary course in the 60's, to my knowledge no group had appropriated the word, so using it in it's proper context wasn't grounds for complaint. But, we were a lot less sensitive then.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  3. #63
    Moderator gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,461
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    For many of us, I think it might be like the old baloney/bologna dilemma. In my little slice of the world, I eat baloney, even though some manufacturers insist on printing bologna on the package. It would drive me crazy to think they were being insensitive to my upbringing, my dialect or my preferences, that's why I don't.
    As far as fabulous goes, when I last took a vocabulary course in the 60's, to my knowledge no group had appropriated the word, so using it in it's proper context wasn't grounds for complaint. But, we were a lot less sensitive then.
    I disagree with your last sentence. It's more like certain groups of people refuse to play the role of victim and have no problem today in standing up for themselves - which is how it should have been all along, but better late than never. Rob

  4. #64
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,864
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I disagree with your last sentence. It's more like certain groups of people refuse to play the role of victim and have no problem today in standing up for themselves - which is how it should have been all along, but better late than never. Rob
    Don't let the bologna spoil your baloney, otherwise you are playing the victim.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  5. #65
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    6,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    As far as fabulous goes, when I last took a vocabulary course in the 60's, to my knowledge no group had appropriated the word, so using it in it's proper context wasn't grounds for complaint. But, we were a lot less sensitive then.
    I'm curious - which group is allowed to use the word "fabulous" safely these days?

  6. #66
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,864
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I'm curious - which group is allowed to use the word "fabulous" safely these days?
    I'm not sure, although I will continue as I deem appropriate. Rob's not the boss of me, everyone knows that's my wife's job.
    Last edited by Alan; 6-2-17 at 1:51pm.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  7. #67
    Moderator IshbelRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The other side of the pond
    Posts
    1,593
    I hate this weird appropriation of a word by certain groups... I will continue to use fabulous as I have always done!

    And don't get me started on the misappropriation of the word 'gay'... I continue to hear the rage in an old friend's voice when she reminds people that her family's surname is Gaye.

  8. #68
    Senior Member Williamsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Penns Woods
    Posts
    1,614
    Quote Originally Posted by IshbelRobertson View Post
    I hate this weird appropriation of a word by certain groups... I will continue to use fabulous as I have always done!

    And don't get me started on the misappropriation of the word 'gay'... I continue to hear the rage in an old friend's voice when she reminds people that her family's surname is Gaye.
    Like in Marvin Gaye.....

    https://youtu.be/r6jKE6YIxmc

  9. #69
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,054
    Quote Originally Posted by IshbelRobertson View Post
    I hate this weird appropriation of a word by certain groups... I will continue to use fabulous as I have always done!

    And don't get me started on the misappropriation of the word 'gay'... I continue to hear the rage in an old friend's voice when she reminds people that her family's surname is Gaye.
    How, exactly, has the word gay been misappropriated. According to Wikipedia it's been used to describe homosexual men since the nineteenth century. Although it is used more frequently for that purpose today perhaps that's because gay men are just more frequently apparent today.

    I wonder how your friend would feel if their surname was Black.

  10. #70
    Moderator IshbelRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The other side of the pond
    Posts
    1,593
    Perhaps different English speaking nations use the same word differently. Gay may well have been used to describe homosexuals for a very long time, but I suspect that might have been in use only by a small percentage of the population.

    I wouldn't care if my surname was Black, nothing wrong with a fairly common Scottish surname. And I detect you think my comment re Gay was homophobic. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •