Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 104

Thread: 43%! 43%! 43%!

  1. #81
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,668
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Mother Jones had a short and objective overview of the proposal.
    http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...a-brown-trump/
    So all they need to do is persuade the federal government to hand over Medicare and Medicaid, ratchet up the tax burden, impose price controls, outlaw private insurance and create a new bureaucracy in a state that already has trouble funding its pension systems.

    Wouldn't secession be a more reasonable goal?

  2. #82
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,280
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    So all they need to do is persuade the federal government to hand over Medicare and Medicaid, ratchet up the tax burden, impose price controls, outlaw private insurance and create a new bureaucracy in a state that already has trouble funding its pension systems.

    Wouldn't secession be a more reasonable goal?
    Probably, since at least then republicans at the federal level would consider going along to get a massive win out of the deal by dumping a massively blue state off the voter rolls.

  3. #83
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,072
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Probably, since at least then republicans at the federal level would consider going along to get a massive win out of the deal by dumping a massively blue state off the voter rolls.
    Why? I thought you said your vote was irrelevant.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  4. #84
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,280
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Why? I thought you said your vote was irrelevant.
    No, I only said my vote was irrelevant to the presidential candidates.

  5. #85
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,072
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    No, I only said my vote was irrelevant to the presidential candidates.
    Ahh, I stand corrected, yet remain distressed that our strategy only works selectively.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  6. #86
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,668
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Probably, since at least then republicans at the federal level would consider going along to get a massive win out of the deal by dumping a massively blue state off the voter rolls.
    Not only that, but a lot of people looking for more generous taxpayer support would probably head west and a good chunk of California's medical establishment and taxpayer base might have incentive to head east. Eventually, California would need to look into building a wall of some sort.

  7. #87
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,280
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Not only that, but a lot of people looking for more generous taxpayer support would probably head west and a good chunk of California's medical establishment and taxpayer base might have incentive to head east. Eventually, California would need to look into building a wall of some sort.
    Probably so. Just like canada has had to do.

  8. #88
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,668
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Probably so. Just like canada has had to do.
    In a sense, they do. It goes to Canada being more selective in who they allow to immigrate and work and reside in their country. Probably the result of all those exasperated American liberals threatening to invade them from time to time.

    I do agree with Trump that we should emulate Canada and privatize our air traffic control system.

  9. #89
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    7,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I stand corrected...
    A phrase few people ever utter.
    I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

  10. #90
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,280
    I'm not even remotely an expert on air traffic control. Are there inefficiencies that could be eliminated or is it just that you don't think the govt needs to be involved?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •