Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 43%! 43%! 43%!

My Mom who was born in 1920 used to say that when she was young the word gay meant happy.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    How could anyone with any kind of moral compass not dress up above their station in life on the joyous day of a Trump Impeachment? Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    please don't bait like this. I have not done such with you in the course of our long running disagreements. Is there any reason why I am not worth the same respect in return that I have given you? Rob
    LOL, you don't make bait statements?
    What have you done to earn respect?
    When someone or a group of someones has done something wrong, you protest for rehabilitation, yet don't allow them to grow!
    That is the same thought process as that family member I spoke to on her deathbed, who judges me based on actions and an act of others, that was before my time.
    It means your prejudiced.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    My Mom who was born in 1920 used to say that when she was young the word gay meant happy.
    I remember that clearly, and I was born in 1952. Don't you remember the Flintstone's theme song?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    That's how it was used in the UK when I was younger... and I was born a lot later than your Mum!

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    LOL, you don't make bait statements?
    What have you done to earn respect?
    When someone or a group of someones has done something wrong, you protest for rehabilitation, yet don't allow them to grow!
    That is the same thought process as that family member I spoke to on her deathbed, who judges me based on actions and an act of others, that was before my time.
    It means your prejudiced.
    Ouch....Just curious....What did I ever do to rub you the wrong way? Seriously. Correct me if I am wrong here, but have we ever even once had a positive interaction, or even one that was neutral? At this point based on your posting behavior I will respectfully say.....turn the finger back around and point it at yourself. Seriously. I am actually quite a reasonable person and have often yielded ground when I could see someone else had a reasonable point. I may be very opinionated (and I will fess up to this here and now) but I am no ogre. Just sayin'. You may continue to post as you wish of course but I'd really like to know what it is that I have ever done that rubbed you the wrong way??? Rob

Quote Originally Posted by IshbelRobertson View Post
    Perhaps different English speaking nations use the same word differently. Gay may well have been used to describe homosexuals for a very long time, but I suspect that might have been in use only by a small percentage of the population.

I wouldn't care if my surname was Black, nothing wrong with a fairly common Scottish surname. And I detect you think my comment re Gay was homophobic. Nothing could be further from the truth.
    Probably not many people knew of its meaning regarding homosexual men because not many people realized homosexuals existed.

I'm sorry if I was incorrect in your reasoning for your comment regarding the word gay. But honestly I don't have any other idea what you might have meant beyond being upset that gay people use it so now you can't. Would you prefer that us gay people switch to cuvfefe or something?

No, most of my homosexual friends would not wish to use Mr Trump's English as a model. Neither would I.

I was just trying to find a word that was new enough to not yet be anyone's favorite. But putting more thought into it I'd have to agree with you that I wouldn't particularly want to be associated with him anymore than I'm already forced to due to the fact of what country I'm a citizen of.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IshbelRobertson View Post
    No, most of my homosexual friends would not wish to use Mr Trump's English as a model. Neither would I.
    Mr Trump does speak fluent basic English but throw him some educated English.....not so quick on the uptake. Sad. Very sad. To quote the man, the myth, the legend, the Trumpster himself......Rob

Mother Jones had a short and objective overview of the proposal.
    http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...a-brown-trump/

Thread Information