Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: 43%! 43%! 43%!

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post

I suspect we will eventually wind up with a public system, but would hope US citizens would be allowed to supplement it with private care. Sort of how education works. If you don't like what's offered by the government schools, you can at least pay extra for something you like better.
    . I think that's reasonable. As long as we address the reasons the cost of healthcare per capita is so exorbitant in this country as compared with other countries. IMHO, a lot of it has to do with lack of transparency and accountability and pie-in-the-sky pricing.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Williamsmith
    There is a enough fuel in the public health fire smoldering that threatens to ignite a firestorm of rage if any state legislature votes to roll earned public health care pension benefits into a single payer type system. These people are quite happy with their access to health care and it's affordability, have earned it and by legal contract have negotiated clear terms by which they are promised to be satisfied. Under no circumstances would some system like "Medicare" for all be accepted without severe strife. It's one thing to say that fulfillment of the contract is null and void because we are bankrupt.....quite another to say because it's for the good of the rest of the commonwealth.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    There is a enough fuel in the public health fire smoldering that threatens to ignite a firestorm of rage if any state legislature votes to roll earned public health care pension benefits into a single payer type system. These people are quite happy with their access to health care and it's affordability, have earned it and by legal contract have negotiated clear terms by which they are promised to be satisfied. Under no circumstances would some system like "Medicare" for all be accepted without severe strife. It's one thing to say that fulfillment of the contract is null and void because we are bankrupt.....quite another to say because it's for the good of the rest of the commonwealth.

In part, it already happened in one instance. IBM has gone back and forth over the years, over its retiree's health care. When the ACA passed, their pension care was moved from them to medicare with supplemental insurance, at the medicare eligible age (a high percentage of the retiree's).
    Not sure how it affected early medically retired employee's, such as one I know from the Hyatt skywalk collapse.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    My understanding was that under the California plan the only exception would be military veterans. Retired cops and teachers would have the same coverage as illegal aliens. I would guess that if some form of this law survives to passage we will see a lot of lawsuits based on prior contracts. Public employee unions have a great deal of power in that state, so I would also expect a lot of legislative debate and demonstrating.

Thread Information