Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: California's Government Run Health Care Proposal

Quote Originally Posted by creaker View Post

When I was an Air Force brat, I not only had single payer, but largely government provided healthcare.
    Except that it was earned as a perq of your parent's service. Typically, less than 1% of Americans at any given time can lay claim to that distinction.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Except that it was earned as a perq of your parent's service. Typically, less than 1% of Americans at any given time can lay claim to that distinction.
    But (my information is old, I'm not sure how much military healthcare has changed in the past 30-40 years) per many people that would be an absolutely horrible way to deliver healthcare - why would we then accept subjecting our military and their families to it?

Other than them not be being front edge technology (I've got some impressive knee surgery scars because they hadn't picked up arthroscopic surgery yet, although it was propagating elsewhere), I thought it was pretty good.

A military friend of mine got top of the line care by Stanford's best doc's when he had a rare neck/throat cancer all at no cost to him through the VA system.

But (my information is old, I'm not sure how much military healthcare has changed in the past 30-40 years) per many people that would be an absolutely horrible way to deliver healthcare - why would we then accept subjecting our military and their families to it?
    That's simple, they earned it when others did not.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    That's simple, they earned it when others did not.
    But the underlying argument is this system of healthcare delivery is not supposed to work.

But the underlying argument is this system of healthcare delivery is not supposed to work.
    I can see the difference in single payer sucess in a mono culture and single payer success in the big diverse country of ours. The military is a sort of mono culture, or semi-mono culture, And its culture is controlled to some extent by the U.S. Military.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 6-1-17 at 8:26pm.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I can see the difference in single payer sucess in a mono culture and single payer success in the big diverse country of ours. The military is a sort of mono culture, or semi-mono culture, And its culture is which also has a culture controlled to some extent by the U.S. Military.
    Hey, they force you to exercise whether you want to or not. They make you take random drug tests. They kick you out if you get too fat, too crazy or too drunk in the wrong circumstances. The great majority of military are under forty. You can't even get in if you have any number of pre-existing conditions. Health care wise, I would think it was a bit of a slam dunk.

Yet my father-in-law, a WWII vet, received quite good care, up until the day of his passing last week. The VA is even helping us with some of the arrangements.

My cousin-in-law, a paratrooper with some serious health issues, in his 40s, also reports he's getting quite good care from the VA system, but then again he's a nurse now, and knows how to operate healthcare systems.

From the flaws in the VA system they have described, it sounds better in some ways, worse than others to what I get for my insurance/healthcare. For instance, as we are now in Michigan for an extended period of time dealing with the final days/death/memorial service for my FIL, my wife discovered she couldn't get her prescriptions filled here, because she's "out of area". Fortunately, our at-home small-town pharmacist, with a phone call, Fedexed the meds to her and will sort it out later.

When I was in Scandinavia recently, I chatted with folks in several different countries about their healthcare system, and they seemed mostly-pleased, with some notable pros-and-cons. Then again, those countries have small populations, good wealth, and mostly-monocultures until recently.

à chacun son goût

Thread Information