Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Young People and Capitalism

Quote Originally Posted by creaker View Post
    If you're the only one with means in that kind of a living situation, you're doing it with the wrong people. They are also supposed to be working to share with you.
    Exactly. In the situation Chicken lady described, people work for "the man" but then pool some of their resources (time and money). That "separate economy" that Chicken lady daughter is experiencing provides each other with exponential resources as well as security in the community. Of course it's nothing new. Look at Israel's kibbutzim and the Amish.

My particular complaint is that if life goes around like players in a Monopoly game and only 8 people wind up with over half the wealth among 7 billion people on the planet, it makes it harder for the rest of the players. And it's not like all of the money was "earned" in the sense that money used to be earned and circulate. Hedge fund managers do not contribute to the general good the same way a blacksmith used to, or a teacher or a local shopkeeper does. There are vast amounts of wealth passed on to generations--wealth that was created by illusory games played in the stock market. Value of money is more and more warped. That shift in wealth becomes a shift in power. And now we're in a situation where money, not democracy, speaks. And money then is the ultimate endgame, trumping the well-being of the citizens and the earth that sustains us.

LDAHL and others who want government to stay out of the natural course of the free market have a right and a reason for that. But too often history has shown that the natural course of unfettered capitalism and wealth concentrated in the hands of the very few is rebellion and war.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    it does seem a fast path to personal bankruptcy, are they at least trying to get jobs that pay enough to live off of? I know enough people potentially heading for poverty, but it's a bit much to personally bail them all out.
    I tell that to my 10 year old daughter and 81 year old mother all the time.

I tell that to my 10 year old daughter and 81 year old mother all the time.
    for the 81 year old at least there is a system that works although minimally like social security. Because if I had to support my mother, that would not work very well, supporting other people is mostly not viable. I may have to at some point (if SS and etc. is not enough) but it will bankrupt me pretty much. "because they can't support themselves" doesn't mean their kids will have the resources to do so, just doesn't.

Exactly. In the situation Chicken lady described, people work for "the man" but then pool some of their resources (time and money). That "separate economy" that Chicken lady daughter is experiencing provides each other with exponential resources as well as security in the community.
    it provides maybe additional resources (so does having roommates though if that's all that mostly amounts to), and being part of a community, it doesn't provide security - that's provided to a degree by being part of the mainstream economy.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    f

it provides maybe additional resources (so does having roommates though if that's all that mostly amounts to), and being part of a community, it doesn't provide security.
    I think if people in a community have a sharing mindset, it makes you more secure because you can count on each other to pitch in if needed. That's security to me.

Sorry, another video that I like:

https://www.facebook.com/Sustainable...4935832907909/
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information