Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What is a Social Justice Warrior (SJW)?

This year I had to tell a student who spent the whole year analyzing everything in class in relation to her race and bringing it up in situations where it was irrelevant (putting away her own chair. No, this is not an opportunity for me or other students to provide you with redress for services your ancestors may have been forced to provide ours) that calling me "cracker" was racist.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Au Contraire. Before the Internet came to be, I spent hours and hours and hours in the public libraries of Phoenix, Arizona (but mostly the main one downtown) comparison shopping this citizenship against every other citizenship in the world period. I felt I had no choice but to do so given that I learned so much of the dark side of America starting at the age of 8. This is not reflexive behavior but very deeply researched behavior on my part - in my own way, I am America's worst nightmare - and I'm no terrorist - I just brutally comparison shop with no loyalty whatsoever and I truly believe the founding fathers of this country are smiling down at me, respecting me for being so practical. America truly has numerous issues and there is better out there - there is worse, but there is also better. This is not reflexive in the slightest. Rob

PS....After the tone of your post I could not resist this - 85006 PRIDE FOREVER!!! I have nothing but Pride from living in the 85006, period. Rob
    I'm not sure how the fantasy football version of emigration counts as either the examined life or America's worst nightmare. But go ahead and cheer for your zip code. People cheer for the Minnesota Vikings for reasons equally inscrutable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I'm not sure how the fantasy football version of emigration counts as either the examined life or America's worst nightmare. But go ahead and cheer for your zip code. People cheer for the Minnesota Vikings for reasons equally inscrutable to me.
    All I am going to say here is.....if you lived in a zip code similar to the 85006 (certainly there are many similar zip codes all around the US) and you were more vulnerable to harassment by the police just for living/showing your face in this zip code, you might see having pride in the zip code and throwing the zip code into people's faces very differently. Seriously. Thanks to Maria from Chilpancingo I will never feel less than for living in the 85006 again, and I wish there was a way I could spread this to all similar zip codes. The word of throwing off the shackles of social conditioning in regards to where one lives and what this means about a given person needs to get out to all those victimized by such. And if I'm speaking Greek or some other difficult to understand language to you here, be very grateful. Just luck of the draw to some degree that these words strike you as foreign if they do. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Anyone else notice that SJWs are prone to judging white people by their skin color or men by their gender?
    Interesting point and yes I have heard of this before, but in settings of a higher social class. In my neighborhood I've actually experienced people having great respect for me (which amazed me at first, it really did) for the simple fact that I am white and that i take the stances that I do and that I stand up for people who are not of European descent. But I wonder if you are talking more of feminist SJW's instead of lower income survival SJW's? In the 85006 and similar neighborhoods you will not find much room overall for feminism and dislike/distrust of men overall as you would at a typically university setting - struggling people have different priorities overall that override feminist SJW narratives. The SJW's we have, such as myself, have a different agenda overall than a college co-ed feminist protesting the patriarchy, for example. Rob

While I feel a responsibility to those around me and am influenced by what I see daily, I do not and have never defined myself by the place where I live. I have used places I live(d) to explain learned attitudes and behaviors, but have always seen those attitudes and behaviors as subject to revision and not the core of my identity. Just as I bit people when I was two because I was non-verbal, hard of hearing, powerless and angry, but now I am older, verbal, hear better, have more power, and manage my anger without biting people.

I am glad that you no longer feel compelled to internalize a negative vision of who you are because of your location, and I hope that you either are never forced to move or move past your new reliance on your location as such a strong source of your new positive identity.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    With all due respect here, dmc - you a poster who has mentioned before of having a private jet (more power to you, I don't envy you such at all) your point here was? If you meant a point (?), such sure eluded me. Rob

The problem when living by an airport, is you get too used to things whooshing over your head.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    The problem when living by an airport, is you get too used to things whooshing over your head.
    Good point. When we lived in Beaufort, everyday we could hear the fighter jets from MCAS and the artillery range from Parris Island.
    One did feel quite protected!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I heard it described once as an adherent of totalitarian ideologies such as Cultural Marxism, responsible for turning academic institutions into ivy covered North Koreas.
    I'll go with that.
    I am using this as an example for an atheist discussion group about SJWs!
    I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield