Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is a Social Justice Warrior (SJW)?

What is a Social Justice Warrior (SJW)?

I was having a discussion about SJWs with an acquaintance the other day. It got me thinking about how an SJW is defined. So I thought I would crowdsource this here.

What would you consider an SJW?

I heard it described once as an adherent of totalitarian ideologies such as Cultural Marxism, responsible for turning academic institutions into ivy covered North Koreas.
    I'll go with that.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

sounds like "feminism". Such a good concept gone awry. Although, I'm not really a fan of justice - justice is when you get what you deserve and I'm more into mercy and grace.

Alan, I work at the food bank with a guy who thinks it's important for us to have semi automatic weapons because we might one day have to shoot the police. I can't figure out if he's a rabid conservative or liberal anarchist, but he spends hours every week carrying boxes that are too heavy for him so he can help give food to people who say they need it.

that seems like the front line to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post

Alan, I work at the food bank with a guy who thinks it's important for us to have semi automatic weapons because we might one day have to shoot the police.
    If those totalitarian ideologies gain traction beyond academia and internet discussion forums, who's to say he's not right?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

One other possible definition would be one who try's to publicly shame a person via social media, rather then actually having a discussion. I was reading about one of those the other day on another forum. Person tried to shame a coworker that said something they disagreed with and thought they "had more authority on it". They were proven wrong on the authority part, and when there was a meeting to discuss it, they decided not to stick around to solve it, as yoga was more important then the issue.

The most succint definition I've seen comes from an atheist web site.

"A social justice warrior is someone who actively condemns and seeks to harm those who express socio-political views contrary to his or her own while claiming to promote social justice."

http://www.atheistrev.com/2015/08/so...efinition.html

Having defined bigotry down to a small (perhaps even trivial) level, their primary problem lies in a workable definition of "social justice". Is practicing yoga an indefensible cultural appropriation? Does a formerly male trans person benefit from male privilege? Is Newtonian physics oppressive to marginalized people? If these sort of questions arouse your fear and anger, you're probably a social justice warrior.

people that hardly seem to exist in real life but get talked about a lot on the internet as if they did. I think some of them may inhabit a place called "Twitter". Mostly a distraction from real power.

I do think what does actually exist are people whose main political issues are say racial issues and you could criticize them for narrow focus as they make ignore a lot of other issues.

Although, I'm not really a fan of justice - justice is when you get what you deserve and I'm more into mercy and grace.
    what you deserve debates is very old, it's by no means what anyone gets now. A lot of such theories would find present arrangements highly unjust as too unequal etc..
    Trees don't grow on money

Word policing
    Tone policing
    Maoist-style ziwo pipan
    Lord of the Flies
    Polezniye duraki

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Word policing
    Tone policing
    Maoist-style ziwo pipan
    Lord of the Flies
    Polezniye duraki
    Funny. When I hear Lord of the Flies, I think Republicans.

I think homeschooling. It was my favorite book to reference. When people said "But(don't) they need to be in groups of other children their age(?)!" I asked "you mean, like Lord of the Flies?"

Thread Information