Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: What is a Social Justice Warrior (SJW)?

Seattle is getting pretty strange:

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-...-a-republican/

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reyes View Post
    Rob, maybe you've already addressed this question, but what is with the zip code? You've posted for years and years and I've only recently seen the attachment to the zip. What is the scoop?
    Fair question and you are right - it is only very recently that I have posted my zip code, the infamous "85006". So here's the scoop. For a few years (until about the past six months or so) there has been a noticeable uptick in police harassment of residents of the 85006. One brainstorming session we had at a neighborhood meeting - one beautiful, very bright and insightful idea - was brought up by a woman from Chilpancingo, Mexico who is glad to be in the US but disgusted also by the police here (and I know that there are folks who won't understand this comment, which is part of the problem when you get right down to it) - the idea was this: To wear the zip code as a badge of honor, to look the world in the eye and to be proud of the 85006. I won't say every last person in the 85006 has adopted this, but I have and so have many of my neighbors (but not all.....I know the former Trump supporters six houses down next door to the very kindly couple formerly from Nicaragua don't do this). I won't be ashamed of where I live any more, and this does psychologically take back some of society's power over you - at least as far as conditioning goes. I've even taken to introducing myself to new people by zip code (though I will say in a formal situation such as a job interview I would not do this).

Long and short of the story - pride in the zip code is taking back some of the power society claims over you. Something else too that I've noticed is ever since we've started this pride in the 85006 movement, the neighborhood has less trash lying about - fewer cans and bottles strewn about, and more people taking an interest in keeping their yards up. It's been a good thing and I have such respect for Maria (the woman from Chilpancingo who brought forward this idea). Rob

PS Something else I'm embarrassed about and feel the need to fess up to here - for all my posting about standing up to this country and all that it stands for - I had accepted society's judgement of me based on where I live. I've thrown those shackles off and will NEVER allow myself to buy into such BS again. It's really humiliating to me that I actually bought into this, knowing as I do how little human life truly means in America as is evidenced by the United States being the only country in the developed world in which human life is not worth socialized medicine. Given this fact, how truly bright is it to buy into ANY conditioning whatsoever, beyond a few basic law and order type things, such a society would want you to buy into? 85006 PRIDE FOREVER!!! Rob
    Last edited by gimmethesimplelife; 6-4-17 at 8:29pm.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Bae, I'll be honest with you - on the surface I'd agree with your take that this is not right - that people should be able to have friends who don't see eye to eye with them politically. On the very surface only I'd even agree with you here....on the surface only, however. The problem is that I have seen people up close and personal who have been hurt by Republican policies of drifting the wealth to the very top over all else so it's very hard for me to be civil to anyone wearing the badge of Republican publicly. I am not an ogre and can indeed be neutral and civil to such people but it is very very very very very hard (there, I've just used more verys than Trump himself!!!).

I find this article depressing - a bit depressing, but I also understand very much why this is as it is. It basically boils down to fear of Republican policies and how they can and do ruin lives and how oblivious Conservatives often are to this. Rob

I don't see postal code tribalism as the answer. Despising anyone in another political camp reflexively seems more like the tragic consequence of an unexamined life than an expression of a superior morality.

one issue here is that a lot of people are not particularly political people (by political people I mean people who read a lot about, think a lot about, follow a lot of politics, have some exposure to various political ideas etc. ). And so they may vote this way or that (and maybe different than one does), but they really have never even given the issue much thought (their parents always voted for x party or etc.).

So a lot of voting people are not really political, they have not come to their opinions after much contemplation or anything, and it's probably misguided to judge them as if they were political people.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I don't see postal code tribalism as the answer. Despising anyone in another political camp reflexively seems more like the tragic consequence of an unexamined life than an expression of a superior morality.
    Au Contraire. Before the Internet came to be, I spent hours and hours and hours in the public libraries of Phoenix, Arizona (but mostly the main one downtown) comparison shopping this citizenship against every other citizenship in the world period. I felt I had no choice but to do so given that I learned so much of the dark side of America starting at the age of 8. This is not reflexive behavior but very deeply researched behavior on my part - in my own way, I am America's worst nightmare - and I'm no terrorist - I just brutally comparison shop with no loyalty whatsoever and I truly believe the founding fathers of this country are smiling down at me, respecting me for being so practical. America truly has numerous issues and there is better out there - there is worse, but there is also better. This is not reflexive in the slightest. Rob

PS....After the tone of your post I could not resist this - 85006 PRIDE FOREVER!!! I have nothing but Pride from living in the 85006, period. Rob

And your still a citizen and proud of living in the hood.

And you've been traumatized since the age of 8.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    And your still a citizen and proud of living in the hood.

And you've been traumatized since the age of 8.
    With all due respect here, dmc - you a poster who has mentioned before of having a private jet (more power to you, I don't envy you such at all) your point here was? If you meant a point (?), such sure eluded me. Rob

No jet, just a piston single engine plane. If you knew since the the age of I guess it's 8 now, that America was such a terrible place. And you were shopping for citizenship elsewhere since then. Why again are you still here?

If healthcare is so important to you, why don't you just purchase insurance like the vast majority of the citizens. Why don't you just pay your own way?

Im wondering who these wonderful country's are that will gladly take everyone and give them citizenship just so they can subsidize their life. I've looked at a few places and most want a pretty healthy investment or you need to bring a needed skill.

Anyone else notice that SJWs are prone to judging white people by their skin color or men by their gender?

Thread Information