Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bacon!

Bacon!

I bought bacon at the farmers' market the other day, and I think I'm in love! It was $14 a pound but worth every cent. I've decided I will happily restrict myself to bacon 2 - 4 times a year, as long as it can be the GOOD stuff!
    I try to avoid pork because pigs are so cute, but apparently my principles are no match for such AMAZING BACON!

I have a local butcher who cures bacon and I do treat myself every so often. I was advised to bake the bacon on parchment paper at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or so. I watch so that I don't overdo it. Each slice comes out flat, the flavour is retained. I pour off the bacon fat and drain the slices using them in everything over the next two weeks by freezing the slices once they have cooled.
    Is that how you use your bacon? Or how do you make it last as it is so easy to gorge on really good bacon.
    Media reports indicate that bacon is priced higher and higher due to public demand in so many dishes.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I violate whatever food restrictions I've imposed on myself and buy a half pound or so to celebrate the first garden tomatoes of the season to make BLT's. This year it was double smoked Black Forest bacon, sliced thick. That's usually it for the year, but quite a special treat.

I buy a 4H pig every year or so, or have a friend who is a farmer raise me one. We get lots and lots of tasty ham and bacon out of the scheme. I like it better than even boutique-brand commercial bacon, because I can specify the cut and treatment, and my butcher/smoker is an absolute artist.

DH buys bacon from the local farmer near his dad. He has his first BLT last week.

Me, I am indifferent to bacon, and honestly, some of it that used to come from DH's family farm always tasted rancid to me.

We had to switch to turkey bacon because of husband's mammalian protein allergy. Now we like it better, anyway.
    And yes, Rogar, it is BLT week thisweek, because we finally have two ripe tomatoes.

Each time I read the tirle of this thread, I laugh, thinking of this video that went viral in recent year. It is hysterically funny!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nGeKSiCQkPw

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Each time I read the tirle of this thread, I laugh, thinking of this video that went viral in recent year. It is hysterically funny!

That is so funny!!

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

This was hilarious! Thank you.

Thread Information