Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Learning to cook...

This Hoppin' John is smelling damn good!

I had this before in Alabama, our girlfriend made it for me and my then spouse on New Year's Day 2008.

Hoppin' John... twas delicious! I will be making that again, and soon!

So I have noticed that while a few dishes I have made were a bit fancier -- like the olive oil-based pasta sauces with fresh herbs and such -- most of the items I make are total single guy meals. haha

They are filling, usually contain beans, and are flavored with meat, or they are noodles with the sauce and meat/veggies, or they are flat breads. It is lots of peasant foods that are not about presentation, but about flavor and being filling to the belly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    It is lots of peasant foods that are not about presentation, but about flavor and being filling to the belly.
    There are far more peasants in the world than lords and royalty, and the kinds of recipes you are cooking are time-honored and part of most people's lifetimes. In addition, the mostly-beans, flavored with meat meals are becoming more popular because they can be quite healthful and have a much lower environmental impact than a huge slab o' meat and fancy sides. Rock on, UL!

p.s., apropos to another thread here, men who can cook more than beanee-weenie have a very sale-able skill IYKWIM
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Hoppin' John... twas delicious! I will be making that again, and soon!
    since you like blackeyed peas, try a recipe for "Texas Trash."

It is really good as a salad, side dish or dip for chips.

I was given a gift of about 16 salmon burger patties. So I have been making these almost daily for dinners! Very easy and so good. I would not call this part of learning to cook though. haha

If heat is applied, then it is cooking in my book!

Mark Bittman himself has said: "When cooking, it helps to apply heat."

Geila
    Peasant meals are my favorites. I have a cookbook I think you might like: Flatbreads & Flavors by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid. Too bad you don't live nearby!

I am still working on this! I have found it takes a few tries -- sometimes more -- to really learn to cook an dish well.

The chapati took some practice. The latkes took practice. The various bean (black, red, etc.) dishes have taken repeated attempts. But most everything, with a handful of exceptions, has come out somewhere in the range between edible and delicious.

I am working on arepas now. I think I made them too thick...

Next time I will try to get them down to about 1/4 inch thickness.

Thread Information