Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Learning to cook...

Speaking of salads and anchovies:

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes...dess_dressing/
    Anchovies really bring the umami!

Oh my, I really do have to try this Green Goddess recipes. i love tarragon.

I cant do any cooking beyond sheer basics for the next two weeks because we are in the weeds of flower show stuff and our refrigerator is full of lilies, but after the shows are over, I am going to try that recipe! It is hard for me to
    envision anchovies being a really good thing.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 6-14-17 at 11:37am.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Oh my, I really do have to try this Green Goddess recipes. i love tarragon.

I cant do any cooking beyond sheer basics foe the next two weeks because we a re in the weeds foe flower show stuff and our refigerator is full of lilies, but after the shows are over, I am going to try that recipes! It is hard for me to
    envision anchovies being a really good thing.
    That's my favorite salad dressing ever. I don't really use a recipe, and my ingredients may vary--sometimes I use a sour cream/mayo mixture, sometimes different green ingredients, but the absolutely crucial ones are tarragon and anchovy. I dislike fish with a white-hot passion (I can get canned tuna down, and smoked salmon) but I discovered the miracle ingredient that is anchovy when I was in college. I'm pretty sure you'll be impressed.

UL..........I know you struggle with your appetite, and I think taking time preparing your food is a good approach to slowing down and maybe not eating as much. I'm glad you're getting into it! It's sort of an art-form......creating something good.
    I've loved to cook ever since I was little. I would make such messes! (and still do!). I think it's so satisfying......except for the cleaning-up part!

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Ha! Well, that might be taking it too far. A salad?!

No, they are a yummy little fish, for sure.
    Of course! What would a salad be without anchovies (or at least anchovy paste)? I cut up the anchovies and sprinkle them in, but I'm going to have to try Jane's Green Goddess recipe. That looks great.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'm getting hungry. I don't know why, but lately I've been craving blue cheese dressing. I make it myself, but it's never as good as the restaurants. I probably don't use enough chemical additives when I make it. haha

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I'm getting hungry. I don't know why, but lately I've been craving blue cheese dressing. I make it myself, but it's never as good as the restaurants. I probably don't use enough chemical additives when I make it. haha
    You probably don't use the ubiquitous sugar--the secret ingredient!

LOL.....and the tablespoon or 2 of salt!

Ultralight, for kitchen utensils, serving dishes, bakeware and gadgets, you might want to check your local thrift store. Not everything is fabulous, but you can get some GREAT buys on fabulous stuff. I always check there first for one-offs that aren't too important. For example, I got this little rice cooker for $1 that cooks even brown wholegrain rice in the microwave. No fuss, no muss, no bother! (Of course, I debated about using the microwave at all, but realized that if I couldn't find a solution to making rice without creating a sticky pan I had to scrub--and DH had nixed the idea of getting an electric rice cooker--I wouldn't make rice at all.) I've found great bakeware there, serving platters, and little bits and pieces that have really made up a nice kitchen.

Well, I am all pasta-ed out for a bit. I think I am going to try some recipes from other sections in the book. There is a minestrone that looks good and savory.

Thread Information