Thread: Bunny war

Bunny war

I have created a little shade garden under some tall spruce trees to relax in the heat of summer. I planted two small Oregon grape hollies that I bought at a local hort society sale on either side of the shade nook. I love the shape of their leaves and they will tolerate the shade and soil conditions.

A little bunny nipped the top branch right off one and left it as evidence and I watched from my LR window as it attacked and chewed the stem below the remaining branch. It then ate the leaves from my hydrangea. Those were a declaration of war to me.

Google advised to create smelly conditions that bunnies don't like. I have two plastic containers with their lids off soapy ammonia solutions that get covered when rain is imminent. DD2 advised a solution of garlic, onions and hot pepper that simmered in 4 cups water to be applied every few days. In addition, Google advised those spinners that every little kid holds up in the breeze to be placed around the garden area. I have little 6" ones in patriotic colours for Canada Day and some 12" that reflect and spin vigourously in many colours. Never needed such things before. No bunnies for one week so far.

Anyone else have this problem and suggestions on how to prevent these wicked beasts? Chicken wire won't work
    Last edited by razz; 6-2-17 at 5:24pm.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

No advice on bunnies but last summer my DH planted strawberry and raspberry bushes but our big dog kept eating them. When we would see him we would yell at him. We did not get one berry last summer. So this summer he is already checking out his bushes) Since he is almost 12 and a huge dog we figured it is probably his last summer so we will skip yelling at him. NOt that this worked anyways.

I have tried a lot of things with my rabbits. I have set a live trap along their routine with no success. They will nibble some new perennials down to the ground, but if I can protect the same type plant with a little home devised netting or other protection they don't seem to bother the plant once it is larger. I bought some motion activated ultrasonic and LED devices, which I think keeps the cats away, but hasn't worked with rabbits, or raccoons for that matter. I think the motion activated water sprinklers would work, but have not tried it. I was discouraged enough from online discussions that repellent sprays do not work, but it's something I've not tried and might help. I have considered making a simple rabbit snare, but it's not especially humane and my war has not elevated to that level.

There are some sources I've found online that that tell if certain plants are rabbit resistant. I have a section of yard that I've tried to convert to xeric native perennials and shrubs. They don't seem to like the most of the small xeric plants starts.

I put black pepper on the plants and it seems to help....

Yppej
    I just plant things they do not like. I found one of their burrows this year but did not have the heart to flood it out or anything. I am contributing to a privileged rabbit childhood in my area.

Bunny war you say:

Well, Monty may have the right idea but my neighbours got perturbed when I hung out my bird feeders (but got over it in time) so Monty's solution might trigger some stronger resistance and use one against me. Thanks for the info though, it was very interesting to see another side to the problem.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Cats, dogs, Hawks, foxes, live traps, snares, a rifle...

resignation.

Thread Information