Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do Doctors Prescribe Too Many Tests

Just because doctors prescribe does not mean one needs to participate:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Reyes View Post
    Just because doctors prescribe does not mean one needs to participate:-)
    That is correct. Getting all the information to make an informed decision is the patient responsibility. Don't just say no. Disease caught early through prevention saves unnecessary suffering and countless lives.

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    Oh, I agree. I figured if the cardiologist couldn't make his diagnosis complete without yet another test, then maybe he was not a whiz at diagnosing. Actually, he did tell me my pre-mature heart beats (150/hr. out of 1000 heart beats) were not worrisome--and not uncommon. He wanted the pricey nuclear stress test to investigate possible "hardening of the arteries". Wouldn't the Echo test have given him that info already?? Anyhow, I felt adequate tests had been done -- and so I was done at that point

(when I turned down the nuclear test, he suggested a different one -- which I also nixed. I felt quite strongly at that point that I was a cash cow..and in-office tests and procedures are highly profitable. He was kind of acting like a used car salesman--"oh, that car is too expensive? Then how about this one..?"
    peaceful, easy feeling

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHiker View Post
    Oh, I agree. I figured if the cardiologist couldn't make his diagnosis complete without yet another test, then maybe he was not a whiz at diagnosing. Actually, he did tell me my pre-mature heart beats (150/hr. out of 1000 heart beats) were not worrisome--and not uncommon. He wanted the pricey nuclear stress test to investigate possible "hardening of the arteries". Wouldn't the Echo test have given him that info already?? Anyhow, I felt adequate tests had been done -- and so I was done at that point

(when I turned down the nuclear test, he suggested a different one -- which I also nixed. I felt quite strongly at that point that I was a cash cow..and in-office tests and procedures are highly profitable. He was kind of acting like a used car salesman--"oh, that car is too expensive? Then how about this one..?"
    I'm surprised he didn't bring in his office manager to convince you, like they do in the dealerships!
    What was he going to do if your arteries were sclerosing? Soften them up with medical grade Drano? Or prescribe what I call the Geriatric Death Spiral Cocktail?
    Good for you for knowing when to quit.

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I'm surprised he didn't bring in his office manager to convince you, like they do in the dealerships!
    What was he going to do if your arteries were sclerosing? Soften them up with medical grade Drano? Or prescribe what I call the Geriatric Death Spiral Cocktail?
    Good for you for knowing when to quit.
    You made me laugh, Jane. You captured the scenario precisely! After I left I thought maybe I should have offered to split the Medicare payment with him so we'd both profit. But on second thought, I really didn't want radioactive material put into my veins..who knows what side effects would come from that?

Here are some of the possible side effects as set forth by the Mayo Clinic:

Risks
    By Mayo Clinic Staff

A nuclear stress test is generally safe, and complications are rare. But, as with any medical procedure, it does carry a risk of complications, including:

Allergic reaction. You could be allergic to the radioactive dye that's injected into a vein in your hand or arm during a nuclear stress test, but this is rare and reactions are usually mild.

Abnormal heart rhythms (arrhythmias). Arrhythmias brought on either by exertion or the medication used during a stress test usually go away shortly after you stop exercising or the medication wears off. Life-threatening arrhythmias are rare.

Heart attack (myocardial infarction). Although extremely rare, it's possible that a nuclear stress test could cause a heart attack.

Flushing sensation or chest pain. These symptoms can occur when you are given a medication to stress your heart if you're unable to exercise adequately. These symptoms are usually brief, but tell your doctor if they occur.
    peaceful, easy feeling

I had a nuclear stress test once. The radiologists report said something like "could be something but we couldn't see it because of her bra fastener". WHAT????? You told me to leave it on. You morons!!

Thread Information