Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Human Rights Bonanza! California's Senate just passed Single Payer!!!!

Maybe I could buy an acre or two out in the boonies and claim residency. I'll have to see how they are going to pay for it.

This is might be much Easier than dealing with Obamacare and getting my income low enough.

I would hope that they will be smart enough to only cover emergency treatment outside the state to prevent faux residencies.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

Teresa May, just another downer. Just print the money to pay for everything, thats what everyone else (cough cough California) does!
    Funny, I hadn't heard about our new California central bank.

I suppose we could just cancel all government spending, cut taxes and having a booming economy like (cough cough) Kansas. That seems to be working fantastically for them...

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I would hope that they will be smart enough to only cover emergency treatment outside the state to prevent faux residencies.
    What is a "faux residency"? If you have established yourself properly as a resident of California, and subject yourself to CA income taxes, seems to me you'd be entitled to all benefits of a CA citizenship. Heck, California is loath to let people *leave* the state, and pursues their income with great vigor already.

You probably can't show up on the doorstep and demand medical insurance as a resident with no prior association with the state (unless they decide to cover undocumented immigrants, and then you'd wonder if they'd discriminate between undocumented immigrants from Baja vs. those from Oregon...).

If California can't figure out how to pay for this, with the size and strength of their economy, then I don't see how the nation as a whole could manage to pay for it, assuming all other governmental expenditures remain the same. In my recent visit to the Scandinavian nations, and my exploration of their systems, I did notice their governments prioritize their spending quite differently than ours, allowing them to have some Really Nice Things, but at the expense of lacking a Borg-like military.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    Maybe I could buy an acre or two out in the boonies and claim residency. I'll have to see how they are going to pay for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    What is a "faux residency"?
    I'll let dmc describe that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I'll let dmc describe that for you.
    you buy or rent a place there and say you live there for over 6 months of the year. Or you can just claim your an illegal. It will be interesting on how they pay for it. It's easy to vote for benefits, but someone has to pay.

Ive read where the cost is expected to be 400 billion. One report figured they could count on 200 billion on federal money, but if it's going to be spent on illegals that may be a tough sell.

Its not a done deal yet, but hopefully they can figure it out. I'm sure there are plenty of Robs out there that would contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    What is a "faux residency"? If you have established yourself properly as a resident of California, and subject yourself to CA income taxes, seems to me you'd be entitled to all benefits of a CA citizenship. Heck, California is loath to let people *leave* the state, and pursues their income with great vigor already.

You probably can't show up on the doorstep and demand medical insurance as a resident with no prior association with the state (unless they decide to cover undocumented immigrants, and then you'd wonder if they'd discriminate between undocumented immigrants from Baja vs. those from Oregon...).

If California can't figure out how to pay for this, with the size and strength of their economy, then I don't see how the nation as a whole could manage to pay for it, assuming all other governmental expenditures remain the same. In my recent visit to the Scandinavian nations, and my exploration of their systems, I did notice their governments prioritize their spending quite differently than ours, allowing them to have some Really Nice Things, but at the expense of lacking a Borg-like military.
    They do plan on covering illegals, so just don't show any ID's.

Nationally, we could reinstate reasonable income tax rates, close loopholes, and do something to curb massive "defense" spending--black budgets, anyone? We could prioritize keeping people alive and healthy in this country rather than killing random people abroad. Not likely, I know.

They do plan on covering illegals, so just don't show any ID's.
    Actually undocumented immigrants can get a driver's license or state ID here since it cuts down on hit and run accidents.

you buy or rent a place there and say you live there for over 6 months of the year.
    Which it would seem would subject you to the tender mercies of the California Franchise Tax Board.... I had a devil of a time escaping them...

(As I recall from when I was a citizen of CA, it wasn't that simple to become a resident, *unless* they thought they could get their hooks in you tax-wise They've already got rules in place to cover the case of random people from across the country declaring residency to get state-resident tuition rates in the University of California system - I suspect they'd adopt a similar policy for their medical care system. https://www.lexisnexis.com/legalnews...-purposes.aspx )

Thread Information