Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 64

Thread: Human Rights Bonanza! California's Senate just passed Single Payer!!!!

  1. #1
    Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,872

    Human Rights Bonanza! California's Senate just passed Single Payer!!!!

    That's it, that's all I have to say. I just read online that California's Senate just passed Single Payer Health Care......Redding is looking really really really good right now.....and I've always liked the State Flag in California, and there still is some minor movement about to secede plus California is going against Trump's pulling out of the Paris Accord. I've for many years thought California was expensive and pushy and not my kind of place but I gotta say, living somewhere with basic human rights at this level (that are available with citizenship in any other country in the developed world) is my kind of place. I'm looking at California very differently now.....Rob

  2. #2
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,072
    I read about this the other day. The annual expense to the citizens will be over twice the state's current general budget, and the legislation doesn't include a method of paying for it. I wonder how that works?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  3. #3
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    6,597
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I read about this the other day. The annual expense to the citizens will be over twice the state's current general budget, and the legislation doesn't include a method of paying for it. I wonder how that works?
    Tax the rich more.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    3,209
    People in CA have been moving to Nevada in droves especially when they retire because of the HCOL and taxes. I am all for single payer but they do need a realistic plan to pay for it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,464
    I believe that we're entering a time when states and cities are taking action rather than wait on Washington. On various issues and on various sides of the arguments. This will be interesting to watch ...

  6. #6
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    6,597
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I believe that we're entering a time when states and cities are taking action rather than wait on Washington. On various issues and on various sides of the arguments. This will be interesting to watch ...
    So, sort of like things were back when we signed up to the Constitution?

  7. #7
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,283
    As with everything the devil will be in the details. I'm ok with higher taxes to pay for it. My employer and I combined already shell out over $6,000/year in premiums for my high deductible policy. However, I'll be curious to see how we stop a massive flow of retired people from moving here just for healthcare. Obviously a large inflow of nonemployed people would be unsustainable.

  8. #8
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,283
    I was listening to an interview of the mayor of LA recently where he tossed out the statistic (I assume it was accurate) that in last november's election $230 billion in state and local spending initiatives were passed by voters around the country. That seems to tell me that people aren't really against paying taxes and having a government that spends money. Maybe it's just that they don't feel like they are getting much from the federal government for the amount of taxes paid in. Not particularly surprising when such a huge part of the federal budget goes towards a ridiculously bloated military.

  9. #9
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    6,597
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    That seems to tell me that people aren't really against paying taxes and having a government that spends money. Maybe it's just that they don't feel like they are getting much from the federal government for the amount of taxes paid in. Not particularly surprising when such a huge part of the federal budget goes towards a ridiculously bloated military.
    Bingo. Plus I think that folks tend to prefer local solutions - my community is much more likely, for instance, to support a school bond issue or a county-wide environmental program than to send money down to Seattle to fund unclogging their highways. Especially when the State has been taking our gas road taxes for years, and not sending a penny back to the county.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,484
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Bingo. Plus I think that folks tend to prefer local solutions - my community is much more likely, for instance, to support a school bond issue or a county-wide environmental program than to send money down to Seattle to fund unclogging their highways. Especially when the State has been taking our gas road taxes for years, and not sending a penny back to the county.
    Yes, the federal spending affects how we feel about taxes, but when we see it in action I have no problem contributing. In Colorado we voted for some good pot tax money, I am curious to see what happens next because many of us feel it is not being used the way we voted for. A lot is going into 'healthy lifestyles' programming, which on my side of delivery is a pain in the rear.

    I do see local and state starting to step up, I also see in general. My son's best friend just graduated and their urban school has a lot of immigrants. He told me about how they are taking care of issues in their school community from girls in hijabs being harassed on the bus to a kid being accused of something and the students getting involved in making sure he was treated fairly. I don't know the details but just the sense I got from him of being mature and engaged was awesome.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •