Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Human Rights Bonanza! California's Senate just passed Single Payer!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    This bears repeating. I'll never understand what appears to be the prevalent mindset in this country--the "I've got mine, the hell with you" sentiment that is what you get, I guess, when you create a society of extremes where the more fortunate among us seem to think their wealth is conferred by God himself.
    There may be some few people like that. But is it so unreasonable to ask about the limits of what the collective can ask of the individual? I do alright, but no one will ever mistake me for a fat cat. If I add up what I pay in income taxes, social security/Medicare, property taxes, sales taxes, etc directly, it comes to 35-40 percent even before considering all the taxes baked into what I pay for goods and services. Can I at some point say "enough" without being evil?

I realize I am part of and benefit from a larger society, and that some are incapable of providing for themselves. But if that society becomes too arbitrary and demanding am I wrong to protest? When did the Bill of Rights become a shopping list?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    There may be some few people like that. But is it so unreasonable to ask about the limits of what the collective can ask of the individual? I do alright, but no one will ever mistake me for a fat cat. If I add up what I pay in income taxes, social security/Medicare, property taxes, sales taxes, etc directly, it comes to 35-40 percent even before considering all the taxes baked into what I pay for goods and services. Can I at some point say "enough" without being evil?

I realize I am part of and benefit from a larger society, and that some are incapable of providing for themselves. But if that society becomes too arbitrary and demanding am I wrong to protest? When did the Bill of Rights become a shopping list?
    You make a fair point--In my Utopia, those at the very top, with more money than they could ever spend, should pay more in taxes, programs should be streamlined for efficiency, waste should be eliminated--think oil and gas subsidies and the military-industrial complex--and the profit motive should be eliminated from essential services--because where profit is everything, wages and corners are cut and costs just keep rising. But those are just some ideas--ideas that will probably never be realized because the one percent likes things just the way they are. The system is set up, maintained, and works for them.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    When did the Bill of Rights become a shopping list?
    Well, for those that immigrated to this country it may have very well become a shopping list to escape something it covers that wasn't provided in their country. (such as Jewish faith leaving Austria for freedom to practice and part of the declaration of Independence or a "camp")
    I wish we had some access to those that had expatriated to other countries on this board, like all those American comedians who moved to England, or those like Tina Tuner who relinquished, verses renounced their citizenship and the differences thereof, as well as the why's. (in her case, probably had a lot to do with her husband)

It looks like the California Assembly has decided not to move forward on this legislation, something to do with "not addressing many serious issues, such as financing, delivery of care or cost controls". Who'd a thunk it?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein