Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: June Frugals

Yppej
    RR it will be San Antonio, closer and with lots of free attractions but still temperate in winter. I was not frugal today - got the lunch in with the group and it did not even taste that good, though it kept me away from the candy jar. Then got my toenails done, but for $10 less than last time as I was very clear about all the extras I did not want. I wear so many sandals this time of year.

Todate
    --used Oxyiclean to scrub the mildew off the deck...frugal solutions instead of hiring
    --chicken thighs on sale for $1.50 a lb from Freshco, I like their chicken...froze in packs of 4 do
    me for 2 meals or Dd and I for 1 meal.
    --watched "LalaLand" and "Manchester by the Sea" from the library...new movies for free.
    --Gassed up the car using a Gift Card purchased at 10% off with gas already on sale.
    --returned garden hose I had purchased, the connection did not work, did not get another one will just use one I have
    that is all for now

Garage sale season has started.
    On Thursday got a black rotary dial phone for five dollars! Have been looking for about 20 years for a good one, and it works. I have been transported back to 1961!

Yppej
    At the supermarket my large size coffee was sold out, but I did not buy smaller, more expensive sizes. Instead I will use up the instant on hand. I avoided sugary products to minimize food cravings and the amount I spend on food and pack on in pounds, For instance, I bought cottage cheese instead of yogurt. I spend about $10.00 a day on food and trying to eat healthier has not increased that.

Leaving for a short getaway tomorrow. Had half a watermelon left. I cut it up and put it in the freezer. Think I will try a watermelon margarita recipe that uses cubed watermelon (and use the garage sale unopened tequila I bought).

Yppej
    A no spend, no drive day. I am contemplating renewing my driver's license online to save gas and time. There is no additional cost.

Except for buying some fresh ginger and corn tortillas, dinner yesterday came entirely from what was already in the house. Even the pork roast had been on the clearance rack at the local market. The food budget is one of those things that's gotten away from me. The cost delta is not a huge amount in the scheme of what we're spending right now. But it feels good to get back to the efficient model that once was our grocery budget.

We got our Comcast bill notice yesterday. It's gone up again, by around 10%. Time to look at CenturyLink again. People I know with CL complain about them, too. And we'd have to figure out what we're doing about streaming video -- some of the channels on-line require that you subscribe to the channel "in real life" so it's not just the broadband Internet access we'd be replacing. But maybe there's enough of a deal to make it work. Or we decide just how much it's worth to us to spend the extra on Comcast.

Shopping grocery sales, investigating cable alternatives ... Trading time for money. It's a classic equation.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Not sure whether yesterday was frugal or non-frugal. I spent 71 dollars to mail my son and his wife four boxes of china I found and they liked, so that they would have a nicer set of china to entertain with, as they entertain constantly and happily. It's Buffalo china, originally diner china, and it is extremely durable (thus heavy) and classic and cool. The china probably cost me 12 dollars total, for 12 dinner plates, 12 dessert plates (plain white, not patterned) and 2 buffalo china mugs, in the free box at a garage sale last week.

So generationally frugal, but expensive to mail.
    Last week I found then a Dansk ice bucket, very cool mid century modern, for 5 bucks at a thrift shop. They had admired my Dansk salad bowl. I love the work of Jens Quistgaard!

We have been eating whatever is in freezer and pantry. Every once in awhile I do this.

Yppej
    Spent $5.99 on a bottle of Yellowtail shiraz. I will see how this works at helping me sleep through hot flashes at night. It is more expensive than sleeping pills but I feel safer for my health at a glass a night.

Thread Information