Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: June Frugals

No apologies needed, rosa.

Here, just more of the same. Between gigs, watching every cent, grateful I have a bit of savings.

Yppej
    Purchased airline tickets 6 months in advance. June is reportedly a good month to buy them for my destination. I am travelling in the off season and will be looking for car rental and motel deals once the bill for the tickets is in and paid. I will not be going into debt for the trip.

Trident Salmon Burgers from Costco are a new favorite! They cost $18.00 for 4 lbs, compared to the $17.00 for 12 ounces of salmon burger meat we order from Washington state. And they're really delicious!

I like the Pollock burgers at Costco. For some reason, the salmon just did not hit the spot. So hubbys gets the salmon and I cook the pollock.

Sweetana: We want to try the pollock burgers next, so I'm glad to hear that you like them.
    I have a couple more things to add, while I'm thinking of it.
    I borrowed my sister's Barnes & Noble flyer, went online to my library and requested several new books that were listed in the flyer. It takes awhile to get new releases, but I'm in no hurry with plenty to read in the meantime.
    My vacation spending has been pretty good so far. We went to see a local play Sat night for $25 per ticket, so that was a good value. The play was "Next to Normal," and it was excellent and thought-provoking, although quite sad. Went shopping with DSIS and bought a shirt at Saver's for $6.99 and spent about $35 at Ocean State Job Lot on practical items like soap and bug spray, so not too extravagant. Visited Mt Auburn Cemetery for the first time (amazing), walked in the woods and walked the beach, so that was all free recreation. Spent money on Chinese take-out one night which is the only expenditure I somewhat regret because it wasn't very good.

Yppej
    Went to a mall near where I work for the first time in my 2+ months on the job. Decided it was very overpriced and only got 2 items at Macy's last call, then went to KMart and got shoes for $12.00. One purchase was a summer white shirt, a basic that will go with many things, and that I did not have since I find it hard to keep a white shirt unstained for long. I should be set with work clothes until the cold weather returns.

Yppej
    I love Mt. Auburn Cemetery. The Arnold Arboretum is nice too.

Sprouts has 10 ears of corn for $1 on sale today, tomorrow and Sunday only. We're on our way there later today.

I worked to set up a cd ladder earlier this year at an online bank, and the first two have rolled over, and I changed them to a 12 month duration. My interest rate is a little higher as a loyalty bonus for renewing them--renewed at 1.4 percent. Feel happy to have set this in motion!

Yppej: It sounds like you have been very disciplined about building your work wardrobe. Good for you, since it's so easy to get carried away with clothing purchases (at least for me). What destination did you settle on for your trip?
    I resisted the temptation of another visit to the garden center today. I have some perennials in my seasonal containers that I will plant at the end of the summer to fill the gap in the garden bed I've been working on. At least that is the current plan. I may succumb to the temptation sooner, but not today anyway.
    A really beloved friend is struggling with his finances and told my sister he was thinking of contracting with a debt consolidation firm. She suggested he talk to me first, since I had helped her come up with a plan for paying down her debts. She said this was working really well for her, and that was SO gratifying! Maybe I can become the atheist's alternative to Dave Ramsey.

Thread Information