Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: June Frugals

Buddy has a possibly torn ACL and arthritis, he's one of my dogs. The vet offered surgery right out of the gate (mucho dinero and she hadn't even scanned it) or watchful waiting and meds. Got Vet-prophen, which sounds like ibuprofen but isn't and can't be substituted, that's a buck a pill. Wanted to charge me $50 for a month's worth of glucosamine/chondroitin. Found it online for 19.99. The Vet=prophen is really helping so I might try to find that online cheaper and have my doc fax a script.

Frugal-one: That sounds delicious!
    Tybee: Great score on the buffalo white china - I love that stuff!
    Yppej: I hate to be a downer, but wine can exacerbate hot flashes, not that I ever let that stop me! Of course, you may well have a different experience.
    So far, my Barnes & Noble flier/library strategy is going well. I requested 4 new releases just about a week ago, and I already got 2 of them.
    Has anyone ever done a Frugalwoods Uber Frugal Month Challenge? I'm considering it for July. Here's a link to the post:
    http://www.frugalwoods.com/2017/06/1...-2017-edition/

Yppej
    Finished June over budget, but by less than the amount of airline tickets I purchased, a special one time expenditure.

I didn't know about the Uber Frugal challenge, but I did it when I was saving to buy a house, and one summer month I got down to $5.00 for groceries. Two meals were included in daycare, my parents liked having us over every weeknight for dinner, and I knew lots of people whose gardens produced more veggies than they wanted. This was 21 years ago when prices were lower too.

Found a wonderful white pendant lamp (been looking for several years) for 2 dollars at a garage sale today.
    Returning from sale got to watch the Thunderbirds practicing over the lake. Free and very fun!

OK, rosa. I'll play. I'm already taking some bare bones actions but this may help me step up my game.

Most frugal tips are about food. When you're single, food is a double-edged sword. Can't really buy in bulk, and even repeat dinners are boring. It's a continuing puzzle. Good food does keep life interesting, so I'm alwayd open to tips for that frugal balance between deprivation and indulgence.

Quote Originally Posted by Meezer_Mom View Post
    When you're single, food is a double-edged sword. Can't really buy in bulk, and even repeat dinners are boring. It's a continuing puzzle. Good food does keep life interesting, so I'm alwayd open to tips for that frugal balance between deprivation and indulgence.
    When I was just on my own and working, I made two casseroles a week. One was taken to work for lunches throughout the week; the other was dinners throughout the week. It usually left a couple of times a week I went out with friends or whatever. But the same thing for lunch; the same thing for dinner. My standing rule was that, if I still enjoyed eating the dish by the end of the week, I kept the recipe. Otherwise it got tossed. It was cheap and easy and minimized meal prep and cleanup. But I like leftovers. That wouldn't work for everyone.

A freezer would be a great tool for you. Not just the one with the fridge; a small free-standing one. Make a casserole or a stew and freeze portions of it immediately. Few or no boring repeats and quick-to-serve meals in future months. A standalone freezer also will let you store good deals (sales, closeouts, etc.). If you're sufficiently into cooking, you could, for example, buy chickens, cut them into slices/shreds/chunks, make soup from the bones, and freeze portions of the chicken for future use in casseroles, stir-fries, stews, etc. You could do the same with ground beef. Or greens (side dishes, stews, etc.). Or bananas (for smoothies and desserts). It's been very useful to us.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Good ideas but I am currently renting a couple rooms from a friend with a big house. I have 1/2 a shelf of freezer to work with and 2 shelves on one side of the fridge.

Meezer, I see little freezers all the time at garage sales--one yesterday was a month old, 150 dollars. Could you put one in your landlady's garage, for example?
    Garage freezers are very big in Michigan, due to deer hunting, I think. We have two, mostly full of squash from the garden.

No, no access to garage and it's an old house. Running a freezer could blow the electrical system. (Not kidding.) I make do with what I've got.

Thread Information