Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not buying something unless I need it

Not buying something unless I need it

A few months ago I got into the mode of "not buying something unless I need it" quite by accident. But then I went on with it and learned a lot. I don't remember how it actually started, probably at the grocery thinking "I need so & so" and then following that thinking with "no, I still have some. I will wait until I need it". Well this took on a life of its own and became very freeing. For example, down to my last roll of paper towels, but since I use very little in the way of paper towels I decided to wait until I was out and actually NEEDED them. I applied this to almost everything, (except cat food - have to stay stocked up there!), and found out how very little I really need. I know with staples this flies in the face of those who stock up during a sale, and I can see the merit in that, but something about this is freeing as I said and when applied across all purchases, (except cat food), it was an eye opener to me. I have never been one to "stock up" anyway. DH did that, and since his passing I have been adjusting to doing things the way I need to do them and not how they have always been done. This fits me. I can see what I have, don't have to cram in and store a lot of stuff, and when I am down to the last of something it goes on the list. Any other "not till I need it" people here?
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Just started this as well. I was the one who stocked up when on sale. Lately, I cleaned out my upright freezer and found things from last year that I have to eat up. Taught me a lesson that I needed. I had batteries stored that I checked at Easter and they had expired in 2012 and burst in the container. Won't buy any until absolutely necessary. And so on....
    It was a family joke about the amount of toilet tissue that I had to have on hand. i once ran out 10,000 years ago and said never again. That won't change.
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

If I find a something that I use on a regular basis, I know I will use it and it is on sale then I will buy it as I feel it is an unwise use of my money to wait and pay full price, i.e. dog food, chicken feed, coffee. I don’t go crazy, I buy commonly used items frequently enough to know when it will be on sale again so I don’t feel that I need to ‘stock up’.

I waited one time until I needed dog food and paid $10.00 more that I would have should I have bought it on sale the week before. I think it a matter of balance.

Businesses do this all the time - just in time inventory. It lets you earn more interest or avoid paying it.

I have been stuck too many times to not have multiples of staples on hand. Broken car, illness, especially kids, hungry family members in crisis, storms, etc -(we were once snowed in for a week. In Ohio.) I don't go crazy with it, don't have a year's supply or anything like that, but enough staples to live on for at least a week or feed an unexpected bunch of people, without electric if necessary. I believe on erring on the side of "a little more than enough". I hate running out of anything. The store is not close and I don't like going to it on weekends, which is when I'm most likely to cook. I shop almost always at Aldi and roadside produce stands in season, though, so buying on sale isn't something I deal with much. Cat food comes in the mail, from Amazon points, as to get the brand I buy here requires a trip to WallyWorld, and I don't venture there often. But I agree there's a trade off in terms of storage space and money tied up. Everyone's "enough" is different!

I don't stock up on things I can easily do without - paper towels, for example. We have plenty of rags for spills and fabric napkins for table use. I try to stay up on tissues, but we all have handkerchiefs if need be, and we always have TP, which can be used for tissue also....

Definitely "not until I need it" for a lot if things (shoes, clothes for work) but I try to stay ahead on food since we are both on an island and in an earthquake zone.

I really like running out of things, though... gives me a sense of whether or not we actually need them.

I took this to heart yesterday when ordering small notebook for my purse to record spending. I could have saved a dollar by ordering a two pack but decided to just order one for now.
    Thanks for an interesting topic. Am trying to change from being a stocker to being "less prepared" as I have sort of a fortress mentality, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I took this to heart yesterday when ordering small notebook for my purse to record spending. I could have saved a dollar by ordering a two pack but decided to just order one for now.
    Thanks for an interesting topic. Am trying to change from being a stocker to being "less prepared" as I have sort of a fortress mentality, unfortunately.
    FYI... These are great at Dollar Tree or the dollar store for only $1! Time is sometimes a factor too, I know.

I hate stocking up. I dont want a package of 500 coffee filters, I want a package of 20. I dontwant 200 Q Tips, I want 50.

I use to be a coupon/stocker. I got tired of tripping over things and things falling off shelves because who needs 35 cans of fire-roasted diced tomatoes at one time? And yes...toothpaste does go bad! For the the last few years it's been "use it up then replace it". Shopping is easier - one bag at a time instead of a truck load of bags to carry into the house and squirrel away.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.