Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the rules apply except for me

the rules apply except for me

Does anyone else find that this seems to be a growing mindset these days?

There used to be more "reins" holding people back from saying or doing stupid (or insert your own word) stuff today. Sometimes it was shame, or reputation or such. So many don't understand or were never taught the Golden Rule or don't believe they will ever get caught (think of Maddoff or Enron).

Wish some people would follow the rule of not saying something they would not want said to their teenagers in the same tone of voice.

Well, sometimes, we cannot see what we do as wrong but when seeing others do it, it is clearly wrong. We do rationalize our behaviour but not others.
    How much does that explanation cover? Not sure.
    I hate people following me too closely when driving. I recently found out that I was following too closely by learning about a 4-5 sec spacing requirement between vehicles on the highway. Up until then, I getting ready to pass slower drivers.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

That has always been. Your probably just seeing more publicity for it.

Yppej
    This really annoyed me at my last job. Investors are visiting and everyone is told to dress up, but one woman wears the same pair of faded jeans all week. Another woman regularly parked in slots reserved for an adjacent business although she was not handicapped and in fact did exercise infomercials to earn extra money. Things are much better at my new company.

I agree. Of lately my thought goes to what I was taught and I admit I have not always followed, If you can't say anything nice, don't say it at all. Sweetana3's post Wish some people would follow the rule of not saying something they would not want said to their teenagers in the same tone of voice. I have said that a few times lately too. I think IF a child would have said some of the mean things being said today by you know who and those, I would have stopped the child and explained why that was mean. Also, this entire last few years of bullying talk and teaching to kids, it seems like it is overload with the political world for the worse. DO as I say not as I do is what kids are learning.

My annoyance on this topic: I take DH in for a regular procedure at the hospital about every 3 months. They have several premium parking spaces reserved for compact/hybrid cars. I have a Prius. Even though there are plenty of other spaces, that section is always filled with SUVs. It's such a little thing, but it really gets me--for just the reason of this thread. Rules don't apply. They're not going to get a ticket for parking there, but come on.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I agree with the children topic. They are seeing some very bad behavior by adults right now, yet we keep on telling them to use their words and not hit, show respect, etc. I recall right after the election hearing a surge of negative towards non-Trump supporters as I walked by signs that children made saying 'be a good winner', 'show kindness', and more about sportsmanship qualities especially when you win.

I don't really see this where I live, but then I live in a fairly Scandanavian area up in Northern Michigan, and social cooperation is stressed pretty heavily!

A Yupper aye? I know us Trolls from down under the Bridge

Thread Information