Thread: UK Election

UK Election

I must say the British voting public has really developed a flair for the dramatic in the past few years. Mrs. May seemed (at least to me) to have made a fairly safe bet on a snap election, only to be humbled by what exactly? Terrorist outrages? A "dementia tax"? An unexciting style? Euro-skeptic-skeptics?

Who could have predicted Labour surging, apparently on a platform of making the Nanny State great again? Or the Tories taking a dozen seats from the SNP in Scotland?

Is the dementia tax the discussion I have seen about taking the homes of the elderly to pay for their care? (sort of a reverse government mortgage/nursing home thing here)

I am in mourning....

Quote Originally Posted by IshbelRobertson View Post
    I am in mourning....
    Trying to understand the reasons. Similar to Idahl above; fear of leaving the European Union, loss of freedom of movement, loss of access to jobs in Europe, hoping to overturn Brexit or reduce its power and impact?......
    What say you?

Not to offend the US members but Brexit was the first of the ultra-dramatic changes followed by the Trump triumph promising great and positive change. Has the resulting political chaos in the US triggered greater fear and uncertainty at any great change in the UK?
    Last edited by razz; 6-9-17 at 1:35pm.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I admit only to a drive-by evaluation of May, and I'm unimpressed.
    On another, completely shallow note, I seriously envy her her hair.

I'm not sure. At the beginning, Mrs May's campaign seemed to signal a foregone conclusion that she would actually increase her majority. Sadly, some of the measures proposed in the Tory manifesto seemed to be aimed at her biggest supporter, the retired and older voters. She tried to back-pedal, but many started to doubt her policies. I am a brexiteer, but I have been hearing that some brexit believers now want to change their stance. Some appear frightened by a hard Brexit.

I think the recent slaughter of people by Islamists has not helped her cause.

Mr Trump? Frankly, he's barely on the radar here except as an idiot whose village should go looking for him!

One chink in the gloom is that the SNP lost quite a few parliamentary seats, which may give Ms Sturgeon pause for thought on IndyRef2. The Conservatives in Scotland have done very well, due to Ruth Davis, their Leader.

Still, maybe it serves me right. The first time I vote Tory in a General Election and look what happens!

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by IshbelRobertson View Post
    I'm not sure. At the beginning, Mrs May's campaign seemed to signal a foregone conclusion that she would actually increase her majority. Sadly, some of the measures proposed in the Tory manifesto seemed to be aimed at her biggest supporter, the retired and older voters. She tried to back-pedal, but many started to doubt her policies. I am a brexiteer, but I have been hearing that some brexit believers now want to change their stance. Some appear frightened by a hard Brexit.

I think the recent slaughter of people by Islamists has not helped her cause.

Mr Trump? Frankly, he's barely on the radar here except as an idiot whose village should go looking for him!

One chink in the gloom is that the SNP lost quite a few parliamentary seats, which may give Ms Sturgeon pause for thought on IndyRef2. The Conservatives in Scotland have done very well, due to Ruth Davis, their Leader.

Still, maybe it serves me right. The first time I vote Tory in a General Election and look what happens!
    Perhaps the thought that the "village idiot" might be the only realistic leader of an economy big enough to replace the rest of the EU as trading partners...........is now giving many pause to reconsider. "Well, Ive never been to England.....but I kind of like the Beatles."

Not really. Whilst Mr Trump assures us there will be a special deal, those of us with a brain know that his stance is influenced by Mr Obama's stated policy that the UK would be at the back of a large queue for any special deals!

We would be better off chasing deals with countries we shamefully shafted to join the EU, such as Australia and New Zealand, and other countries of the Commonwealth.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I admit only to a drive-by evaluation of May, and I'm unimpressed.
    On another, completely shallow note, I seriously envy her her hair.
    Oh my gosh, I have no opinion about this issue but completely agree about Mrs. May's hair. Shallow can be good sometimes, even refreshing.

Thread Information