Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Robotic vacuums

Robotic vacuums

Like Roombas...do any of you own one? I have seriously considered getting one, but want more info first. I know they can be spendy, but I have recently come into a bit of money and can afford a wise indulgence.

The reason I want one is that I spend a good time of my weekend and one weeknight vacuuming and my vac is as heavy as a boat anchor (old Kirby). It is getting difficult for me to lift into the house from the room it's stored in (there's a step) and even attaching the attachments hurts my arthritic hands. Whiny I know, but I've really been dealing with this for a while.

I'm getting so I resent all the time I spend sucking up cat hair and dust and one of these would just do it for me, freeing me up to do stuff I want to do like gardening and sewing.

But are they all they're cracked up to be performance-wise? Do they need to be recharged often?
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Love mine. Would never have spent the money on it. My kids gave it to me.
    We live in a one story house. We put it in a room and let it go. The coolest thing is when the charge gets low it travels to the dock to recharge itself. Does a great job.

Had several coworkers, most with pets, who absolutely love their Roombas.

We are on our second one. The first was a refurbished one that we wore out. We bought new the second time around. I love love love it. I can vacuum with the upright and then set Berta off and she picks up stuff the other misses. She goes under tables and chairs. Superb for drifting dog hair. Can't imagine life without her.

What about all my cats' toys?

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    What about all my cats' toys?
    You have to pick them up. Also shoelaces or similar strings will just wrap around and jam it. My house is neater because we keep it more picked up so we can use the Rhoomba.

We had one ( a roomba) and loved it. I am not sure how long we had it before it started "limping" badly but it did an excellent job overall. Sold it on ebay for "parts - not working" for over $100.00 I think.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Love mine for doing the bedrooms. My house is small at 1300sf so two locations gets every part done but I really dislike vacuuming under beds.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

So Razz, did it do the whole house, or do you have to move it as it is set up/designed for one room at a time?

Kirby's are massive, and my experience with them, lead me to believe they are pretty average. With more hardwood, my vacuum needs have been met with garage sale vacuums. Several people I know went Dyson, and several of them have switched to the Sharks.
    My aging parents, use a lightweight garage sale vac, for the basement steps, and keep it downstairs so they don't have to use their heavier vacuums. Typically garage sale vac's have needed a cleaning/bag and sometimes a belt, if you want another option.

I have all non carpeted floors and use a swiffer. Don't even own a vacuum anymore.

Thread Information