Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: If you could reform welfare type benefits

Universal Basic Income, what is this?

just read above post, but do not understand this plan.

In this profit-driven country, I agree with the ever-practical ApatheticNoMore that landlords and others would just jack up prices to cash in on the phenomenon.

You can have my Snickers bar when you pry it from my cold dead hand.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    You can have my Snickers bar when you pry it from my cold dead hand.
    Yeah--as treats go, Snickers at least has some nutritional value, aside from tasting good.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Yeah--as treats go, Snickers at least has some nutritional value, aside from tasting good.
    Life is for enjoying; not masticating leaves.

Update to my earlier post: Lyle Jeffs arrested.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...ear-on-the-run

My hope is that they can shut down these towns where raping of 13 year old girls is underwritten by taxpayers because of adult males gaming government food stamps and other benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post

My hope is that they can shut down these towns where raping of 13 year old girls is underwritten by taxpayers because of adult males gaming government food stamps and other benefits.
    Hmm, I thought you were talking about sanctuary cities or certain Islamic enclaves, but I'm now guessing not.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    i would eliminate those programs, and switch over to a universal basic income setup.
    I am interested in what you mean by this, as universal could mean every member of this country, which includes minors. Also I don't see how this would actually be saving any money, as the cost would be what? (and what would the consequences be to social security, or all that money people paid into under the program)
    In response to so many other posts...
    There is instances of what I would view of fraud, that I am aware of (couple doesn't marry, house only under ones name, while the other gets benefits), as well as instances that have been suspended due to fraud (people selling benefits for $.50 on the dollar and the store collecting the full 100%, without the inventory moving). One program I am aware of, stopped in excess of 7 figure fraud in my state.
    Then you have all the loopholes that people who are on, or have been in the system, tend to know. (if you buy a food before you cook/heat it, you can buy it, but if it is already cooked, you can't)
    I have known people who became eligible for the system and used it for their benefits, while they then qualified for some other programs, paid their way through school, and became functional members of society.
    While someone else I know, spews hate at anything Republican, loves Democrats and says he does so much better under their rule, which he does, because his (now former/retired just a couple months ago) job, receives benefits of these programs and targets that audience (grocery store, in poor area). Yet he complains about his very customers and can't make the connection. He consistently would argue with another friend of mine, until that friend of mine pointed out, he owned a time clock, while the other worked for one (different viewpoints/issues the one had no comprehension of).
    I've been approached by those wanting to sell their "benefits" for cash.
    Had a discussion yesterday, with a friend, who has an employee, who can't pay for his stuff, and is always taking time off or leaving work early (did again yesterday, after complaining he can't pay his bills) and doesn't make the connection.
    When this thread first started, I had had a conversation with an acquaintance and a mutual friend about one of our former baseball players, who went on to work for the Yankees and he spent his entire $25 million dollars from them, on a house in L.A. and was broke in two years (kind of have to have money to live on, you know).
    Money is a tool and there are lots of those who are throughout the spectrum, that will be stupid with it.
    Going to stop here, like I said earlier, this could be really long.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I think that people holding "traditional values" are still a significant element of the GOP base. They're just not the decisive element they used to be, else a sleaze like Mr. Trump would not have done as well as he did in the primaries.
    While I agree with you that the religious right has lost the culture war they don't realize it yet. People like me, adults with financial independence, don't suffer their BS much npanymore, but they are still doing their best to screw over the lives of the vulnerable in the LGBT community like teenagers.

https://thinkprogress.org/texas-gove...l-749cf6b94ec0

Thread Information