Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Cutting down sugar

Went to a different location of my favorite supermarket chain and bought some prepared quinoa salads as well as quinoa to cook. This should be better than my past tendency to load up on potatoes or higher glucose grains, though I did get some taboule as that wheat isn't processed. No fruit this week, but vegetables, nuts, tofu, falafel, some dairy, and my weekly cheat item was a couple thin crust Newman's pizzas loaded with vegetable toppings to enjoy with my son, who is going through a rough patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    my weekly cheat item was a couple thin crust Newman's pizzas loaded with vegetable toppings to enjoy with my son, who is going through a rough patch.
    We've discovered that the Bellatoria thin-crust pizzas are relatively carb-friendly -- 45 grams of carbohydrates in half the pizza. As frozen pizzas go, much better than some. Good positive moves in the less-sugar direction, Yppej!

I'm still "eating to my meter" to figure out trends in my blood glucose, so I've only had 1/8 of one of those Bellatorias in the last three weeks. The vast majority of the other carbs have been non-starchy vegetables. Strangely, it has not been hard for me to just drop the starchy carbs. But if I can sustain this way of eating, I'll have to figure out how to accommodate DW's interest in starchy carbs. She likes them and (in the quantity in which she eats them) they seem to like her. So a clean sweep of the pantry probably is not going to happen.
    If Americans expended even a fraction of the energy on civic engagement that we spend on consumer ideology, our democracy would be much healthier. Can you imagine people camping out to vote? -- Charles Roberts, Amherst, Mass., Nov. 25, 2006