Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting down sugar

Good quality protein and fat will keep you satiated longer.
    Some researchers consider sugar as addictive as hard drugs--it seems to target the same pleasure receptors in the brain.
    There are a few more or less natural sugar substitutes you can use, like stevia, erythritol, and xylitol.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    bought a tea that was ice cold and had some sugar. Still not as much as I had been doing. I can see why this is so hard!
    Beware... just about EVERYTHING you buy in a store, processed, bottled, or boxed has sugar or some sugar substitute (i.e. high fructose corn syrup) in it. When I gave up HFCS for Lent one year, I was astounded at the things that had some HCFS in it.. You really have to go completely process-free to stay away from sugar! It's crazy.

ETA: This article from CNN on how and why to do a sugar detox.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/09/health...yer/index.html
    Last edited by catherine; 6-13-17 at 11:21am.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yesterday was hard, I didn't bring a large lunch and had a long car trip in rush hour. I did have some nuts with me but bought a tea that was ice cold and had some sugar. Still not as much as I had been doing. I can see why this is so hard! If I miscalculate how much food I need then I don't have many options
    yes, it's really hard to bring enough healthful food to get through the work day and sometimes it ends up being more than one trip from the car to work to bring it in if I do. I eat breakfast at work, I eat lunch at work, and it's pretty late in the day by the time I get home (I eat dinner at home but it's not large).

So it will lead to situations like last week where I'm wandering around outside work hungry, wishing there was food somewhere, thinking "oh I SO wish there was food", not finding healthy food (even bananas were sold out, free nuts at work were not there etc.), wandering around, trying to decide what to do, feeling very irritated, utterly perplexed about what to do about being hungry. I had an extra pack of nuts at work in my desk that I finally found, thank heavens. I bring a salad everyday for lunch, but it's not enough ... it's hard to think of enough food to make, it's hard to cook that much, etc..
    Trees don't grow on money

One nice thing about a ketogenic plan is that it quells insulin production, and since you're running on fat, you can just carry on for hours. When I'm "in the zone," I eat one meal a day, and that's it--which cuts down on the annoying food prep.

I think going on a ketogenic diet is to be approached kind of like trying to be a healthy vegan, only if you know what you are doing.

While it might not lead to as many LONG RUN nutritional deficiencies as veganism can, it can lead to much quicker short run problems. You have to know that like vegans have to supplement say B12, you have to supplement fiber etc.. Or suffice I tried it and crashed and burned but I tried to just eat a pretty normal diet but no carbs (and I really was eating almost no carbs - it wasn't some cheating "ketogenic" diet). I got constipated in a way no amount of trying to eat veggies with fiber cured and I looked up the fiber in nearly EVERY fricken low carb veggie and tried hard to maximize but day after day not really. Body just wouldn't work properly. That's why I suspect you need supplemental fiber or maybe it's not even fiber that helps with carbs in that department, I don't know, worth a try. I did whatever crazy things are suggested like drinking salt water. Completely crazy. Then because of all those things I think my stomach got way too acidic, I had horrible stomach pain, that I waited out, "this too shall pass", only to wake up with stomach pain the next day ("uh I don't think heartburn and stomach pain that like never goes away is uh normal and healthy ...").

Maybe one needs to do a lot of research first to make sure all the i's are dotted and t's crossed, or slowly work their way down to less carbs to let their gut microbes adjust or something (this is contrary to just jumping straight into an induction period but maybe it's actually works better, I don't know), maybe one needs supplemental fiber, maybe one needs to avoid all food sensitivies like dairy MUCH MORE than normal since they irritate the body more if they are stuck in it and won't pass through. But you really do need to do a lot of research I think, trial and error, working up toward, or something. Don't jump without a parachute, don't try this at home kids.

Or maybe do, supposedly it comes easy to some people, don't even know fully why it came so hard to me (that's why I speculate). I was mentally quite open to trying it at the time as I was trying it with my bf, even though now I'm afraid of it in many ways, and it would take even more courage than it did the first time to try again.
    Trees don't grow on money

I think all these diets are ridiculous. We need to eat fruits vegetables whole grains and lean meats ... as close to their natural state as possible. Everything else is problematic in some way.

I make this bold declarative statement after 20 years of being an RN and 30 years of doing massive supplemental personal reading about healthy diet choices. I sound quite sure of myself today don't I?!?

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post

Maybe one needs to do a lot of research first to make sure all the i's are dotted and t's crossed, or slowly work their way down to less carbs to let their gut microbes adjust or something (this is contrary to just jumping straight into an induction period but maybe it's actually works better, I don't know), maybe one needs supplemental fiber, maybe one needs to avoid all food sensitivies like dairy MUCH MORE than normal since they irritate the body more if they are stuck in it and won't pass through. But you really do need to do a lot of research I think, trial and error, working up toward, or something. Don't jump without a parachute, don't try this at home kids.

Or maybe do, supposedly it comes easy to some people, don't even know fully why it came so hard to me (that's why I speculate). I was mentally quite open to trying it at the time as I was trying it with my bf, even though now I'm afraid of it in many ways, and it would take even more courage than it did the first time to try again.
    The big sticking point seems to be electrolytes--you need more salt and potassium, etc. because the plan tends to dehydrate you. So dizziness, bathroom issues, tiredness will be a problem if you don't stay on top of that--at least until your body becomes accustomed to it. I'm not wedded to this level of LCHF, and I haven't experienced any miracle cure, but I'll always follow some kind of low-carb plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I think all these diets are ridiculous. We need to eat fruits vegetables whole grains and lean meats ... as close to their natural state as possible. Everything else is problematic in some way.

I make this bold declarative statement after 20 years of being an RN and 30 years of doing massive supplemental personal reading about healthy diet choices. I sound quite sure of myself today don't I?!?
    I agree about food in its natural state--I eat fatty meats, many vegetables, quality fats (saturated) and oils (non-industrial), a few fruits, nuts and seeds, and occasional fish. This comes from 70 years of living in my cranky hyperinsulinemic body and decades of reading nutritional literature--most of it, unfortunately, bullshit--due to information provided by the processed food manufacturers. I'm not interested in getting any of the diseases associated with "healthy eating" as it is perceived currently, but I'm sure something will get me soon enough. BTW, the most "ridiculous" diets I've ever seen--obscenely so, really--are those fed to hospital patients, particularly ones with diabetes.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I agree about food in its natural state--I eat fatty meats, many vegetables, quality fats (saturated) and oils (non-industrial), a few fruits, nuts and seeds, and occasional fish. This comes from 70 years of living in my cranky hyperinsulinemic body and decades of reading nutritional literature--most of it, unfortunately, bullshit--due to information provided by the processed food manufacturers. I'm not interested in getting any of the diseases associated with "healthy eating" as it is perceived currently, but I'm sure something will get me soon enough. BTW, the most "ridiculous" diets I've ever seen--obscenely so, really--are those fed to hospital patients, particularly ones with diabetes.
    +1

It is apparent at this point in my life that the last thirty years of advice offered by the so called experts regarding lean meats, whole grains and plenty of fruits and vegetables has been a huge failure both in terms of assisting the population to be healthy and in the reduction of obesity in our culture. Plenty of cultures have been studied that ate strictly fatty meats - Inuit Eskimos for instance - and had none of the diseases attributed to western diets, until sugar and grain was introduced. We are clearly moving from one in three people being prediabetic or diabetic to one in two. In my own study, I find it beyond a reasonable doubt that the diet of carbohydrates touted as fat free and preventing heart disease is responsible for much of our chronic illness.

About the "natural state" of things. Fruits have long ago been genetically engineered to be sweeter than they ever were in nature.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    ... .That's why I suspect you need supplemental fiber or maybe it's not even fiber that helps with carbs in that department, I don't know, worth a try. I did whatever crazy things are suggested like drinking salt water. Completely crazy. Then because of all those things I think my stomach got way too acidic, I had horrible stomach pain, that I waited out, "this too shall pass", only to wake up with stomach pain the next day ("uh I don't think heartburn and stomach pain that like never goes away is uh normal and healthy ..."). ...need to do a lot of research I think, trial and error, working up toward, or something. Don't jump without a parachute, don't try this at home kids.

You bring up good points--an individual's genetic makeup and personal gut garden undoubtedly have a lot to do with how they respond to any diet. Anecdotal reports of remarkable healing abound, as well as reports of people never adjusting, really, at all. I'm sure that at the end of the day, I'll have a firm grasp of what doesn't work. But this is fine for now. How's your BF doing on it?

Thread Information