Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting down sugar

Cutting down sugar

I have been quite unhappy with my weight. I have let myself go with the middle age flow for awhile but now want to address it. After some reading I realize I need to deal with sugar, when I track food I go over recommended sugar all the time. Plus it makes sense that I don't process it as well as I used to.

I have watched it for a week now, not so successfully. But in one week there has been no change of course. I really hope that I can do something, I am about 5'3" and 160. I don't think I look too heavy but the weight affects my health. And with the lower work load over summer maybe that can really help

Yppej
    I need to do this too. My feet, knee and hip joints, skin, and stamina are affected by the 20 pounds I've added over the past 3 years, which also coincides with menopause. And there's the hurt vanity when I can't fit comfortably into clothes I like.

Yes I have better stamina and energy overall, but I know I could make more changes. It would be easier if I had an improvement in my asthma or my weight. It takes time, and I am not terribly patient. I can be patient with a little progress.

So far today I am in the recommended sugar with only natural sugar like some fruit and the sugar that is in milk and cheese.

Williamsmith
    It is apparent that the food industry marketing and the research are at odds. The food industry floods the stores with processed food high in carbohydrates and packed with hidden sugar. They make it convenient and appear to be cheaper than cooking your own food from scratch.

Most of our schools have stopped preparing food for students. Fast food companies contract with school districts, sugary drinks are sold in schools, pizza is considered a vegetable.

Obesity is a national problem. We have genetically evolved into an insulin resistant population prone to fattening.

I believe sugary drinks are the worst. That includes fruit juices and energy drinks. Foods with added sugar to make them taste good are marketed as fat free. Cereal and potatoes and pasta basically are processed by your body as sugar.

You take the journey to lose weight.....it is War. It is really tough. You must be determined and be willing to make small progress. I am 5'11". The recommended weight is approximately 180 lbs. I really started about 11 months ago at 220 lbs. Yesterday's weight was 191. My doctor said 190 would be a good weight but I will be satisfied to reach 185.

Our system of food distribution and marketing is largely to blame. It is really difficult to keep from making poor choices when you are surrounded and inudated by the pushers of sugar. Sugar affects the same part of the brain as cocaine and nicotine. It is a chemical addiction. Very hard to use it in moderation. Chip away a little at a time and make it a lifestyle change. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post

Our system of food distribution and marketing is largely to blame. It is really difficult to keep from making poor choices when you are surrounded and inudated by the pushers of sugar. Sugar affects the same part of the brain as cocaine and nicotine. It is a chemical addiction. Very hard to use it in moderation. Chip away a little at a time and make it a lifestyle change. Good luck.
    +1
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I wish you luck, as cutting down on sugar is like cutting down on heroin.

And I totally understand your struggle! The fight against junk food is tough as all hell.

Thank you both, I thought I was pretty good about sugar since I have a health food background and pack lunch every day. It is in drinks a lot. In the winter a nice hot tea, in the summer any iced goes way over. And then if you add even a small snack to it.

My weight has always been okay, not always what I want but fine. It seems that it will not budge regardless. Changing that 'set weight' just seems impossible some days

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I wish you luck, as cutting down on sugar is like cutting down on heroin.

And I totally understand your struggle! The fight against junk food is tough as all hell.
    Agreed - one thing to keep in mind when trying to regulate sugar are starches - a lot of that immediately breaks down into sugars, so you need to watch that as well.

Totally agree with WilliamSmith's post. It's a public health problem and the solution is best found at that level ... not at the level of each individual's struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by creaker View Post
    Agreed - one thing to keep in mind when trying to regulate sugar are starches - a lot of that immediately breaks down into sugars, so you need to watch that as well.
    Thanks for noting that. It seems to be a little-known fact. I always cringe when people go on about their "healthy" starch-laden diets.

Thread Information