Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting down sugar

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    How's your BF doing on it?
    He seems to do ok on it physically, which is one reason why I wanted to try it as he claimed to be happier and calmer mentally etc. while on it, which all sounded good. But he hasn't been very successful at sticking with it needless to say (gets bored I guess, which yea after all the problems I had on that diet does sound like: cry me a river. But oh well.)
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

I notice improved focus and mood. I've heard of people going into remission from all kinds of conditions, mental and physical--even improved eyesight (which I guess is common with improved blood sugar levels). I should be glad that I didn't suffer your constellation of ailments. But I expect I will loosen the reins with a slightly more flexible plan eventually.

I drink Pure Leaf unsweetened tea. Today I had two lemon meringue candies from the office candy jar, the halva I am finishing off, and fructose in fruit the company provided, plus some lactose in the half and half creamer I put in the office coffee. Sugar is everywhere! I tried to be good at the supermarket this week, but I bought some carb rich vegetables, beets and potatoes. I do not think I could ever be completely carb free.

One helpfull thing is being fructose intolerant. That means over 5 years ago I got all HFCS out of my diet, many fruits and beets. I have a few fruits like berries I can eat. But I do not get ketchup, sauces or desserts out to eat. The effect is like a serious lactose issue, I lose 5 lbs in 24 hours, not in a good way! So I am very aware of that.

At least with the sugar tea I did not get the one with 3 servings in a can, which is deceptive, I drink the can over the course of the day. Today I made it on my lunch, but was hungry driving home. Almost there

Regarding the tea--I make it myself (in fact I just made a batch). I steep several tea bags, whatever kind I feel like: black, green, herbal, and then I put it in a large container with a spigot, and add slices of lemon. Sometimes I throw in fresh mint, which grows in my yard. I love it. It's cheap and basic.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'm drinking a big jar of jasmine tea that I steeped in the refrigerator. I never get tired of iced tea.
    Halva sounds awfully good; there are some sugar free recipes on line that I might attempt. I haven't had it for years.
    Sugar is in everything. It's worth reading labels carefully, and knowing all the various synonyms for it.

Just reading an article by Food Babe, who has a good last word on this topic:

Ive learned that the only way to feel great is to stop outsourcing my food to corporations and spend more time preparing meals at home. When I began cooking and eating whole foods, my health soared as a result and now I never look back.

This was in an article I just read about The Best Diets in America--and how U.S. News and World Reports listed common well-knowns diets which sell their own processed foods. She then quotes a study cited in The Atlantic:

Katz and Yale colleague Stephanie Meller published their findings in the current issue of the journal in a paper titled, "Can We Say What Diet Is Best for Health?" In it, they compare the major diets of the day: Low carb, low fat, low glycemic, Mediterranean, mixed/balanced (DASH), Paleolithic, vegan, and elements of other diets. Despite the pervasiveness of these diets in culture and media, Katz and Meller write, "There have been no rigorous, long-term studies comparing contenders for best diet laurels using methodology that precludes bias and confounding. For many reasons, such studies are unlikely." They conclude that no diet is clearly best, but there are common elements across eating patterns that are proven to be beneficial to health. "A diet of minimally processed foods close to nature, predominantly plants, is decisively associated with health promotion and disease prevention."

This affirms what Tammy said, basically.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Those "best diets' articles are usually biased in favor of whatever commercial diet slips them the most money, I imagine--Weight Watchers being one example. People on their own--n=1 experiments--and researchers who can manage to eke out grants for diets with no financial reward--are coming up with all kinds of intriguing evidence (telomere length, autophagy, mitochondrial repair and regrowth, neuroprotection, etc.). I say eat what works--really works--for you, and don't discount what works for others out of hand. A ketogenic diet is a therapeutic one, clearly not necessary for everyone, but it was a natural progression for me.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2649682/
    http://www.the-scientist.com/?articl...e-Aging-Brain/

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Those "best diets' articles are usually biased in favor of whatever commercial diet slips them the most money, I imagine--Weight Watchers being one example. People on their own--n=1 experiments--and researchers who can manage to eke out grants for diets with no financial reward--are coming up with all kinds of intriguing evidence (telomere length, autophagy, mitochondrial repair and regrowth, neuroprotection, etc.). I say eat what works--really works--for you, and don't discount what works for others out of hand. A ketogenic diet is a therapeutic one, clearly not necessary for everyone, but it was a natural progression for me.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2649682/
    http://www.the-scientist.com/?articl...e-Aging-Brain/
    My favorite publishing company, Chelsea Green, recently published this book, and I heard the author interviewed on my permaculture podcast. It was interesting.. it's not REALLY a typical permaculture topic, but the interviewer/owner of the podcast experienced great improvement in his health from it, so he figured he'd give the authors a platform.

I'm not there yet--but I certainly am not against fat or for carbs. I'm kind of keto-lite I guess. (messing around with ketones scares me, frankly, but I'm not a doctor or an expert in the digestive system, so what do I know?)

But there are a LOT of prepared foods that do NOT have high fructose syrup, you just have to look for them.

Yesterday i read ingredients on these favorites and things I bought yesterday with no hfcs:

my favorite salsa--a locally produced brand

a locally made bread

A spaghetti sauce I absolutely love, made with cream, made by Hunts

a fabulous low calorie ice cream "Halo top" which has lots of protein as well as, of course! ,sugar-( hey, it is ice cream,) but the source is "organic cane sugar."

I did look at the content of tomaote paste and it is full of hfcs.

We have to read ingrediant lists, but also know that more and more processed foods are made without the hfcs because people are demanding it.