Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: clothes washer that works well

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    Thanks Catherine for the list. IrisLilies- My husband and I were talking about the locked lid....did you ever hear of anyone getting hurt in a washer????? I'm looking...and looking. The washer worked fine today, maybe I'll wait.
    No, never heard of injury but I am sure it has happened. Hence, the restrictions.

We ended up buying a mid-priced top loading Kenmore about four years ago. The locking lid is very irritating and if you don't do it just right, the settings have to be started over. Have already had one repair done to it that cost about $100.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    We ended up buying a mid-priced top loading Kenmore about four years ago. The locking lid is very irritating and if you don't do it just right, the settings have to be started over. Have already had one repair done to it that cost about $100.
    yep, they suck. Thanks, Nanny G.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    yep, they suck. Thanks, Nanny G.
    Seems as though you are blaming the wrong party, IL. When companies get sued or suffer some kind of consequences for an unusual event occurring, they clamour for some form of correction.
    EG a neighbour sells gas fireplaces. Just recently after stocking up on inventory, the design changed. Lawsuits triggered by a child falling against the fireplace door forced the companies to alter the design by adding a screen in front. The gov't entered the picture to set a standard that companies could meet thereby protecting or reducing the manufacturers' liabilities.

The antipathy to gov't sometimes is misguided. Do you want continual lawsuits by many indidividuals that cost everyone a lot of money or develop laws that reduce the lawsuits, hopefully.
    The d
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

There was another thread on this here. I cannot locate it but replied at that time. We purchased a Speed Queen. It has no locking lid and has stainless steel drums. It is very easy to use. Supposedly, it is to last 25 years but will probably make 15. The other models say they last (if I remember correctly) 6-7 years. The Speed Queen is a little more money but the irritation factor of a locking lid sold me! It is basic... which is what I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    There was another thread on this here. I cannot locate it but replied at that time. We purchased a Speed Queen. It has no locking lid and has stainless steel drums. It is very easy to use. Supposedly, it is to last 25 years but will probably make 15. The other models say they last (if I remember correctly) 6-7 years. The Speed Queen is a little more money but the irritation factor of a locking lid sold me! It is basic... which is what I wanted.
    I remember that discussion and that you have a Speed Queen machine.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 6-17-17 at 12:04am.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Seems as though you are blaming the wrong party, IL. When companies get sued or suffer some kind of consequences for an unusual event occurring, they clamour for some form of correction.
    EG a neighbour sells gas fireplaces. Just recently after stocking up on inventory, the design changed. Lawsuits triggered by a child falling against the fireplace door forced the companies to alter the design by adding a screen in front. The gov't entered the picture to set a standard that companies could meet thereby protecting or reducing the manufacturers' liabilities.

The antipathy to gov't sometimes is misguided. Do you want continual lawsuits by many indidividuals that cost everyone a lot of money or develop laws that reduce the lawsuits, hopefully.
    The d
    http://instituteforenergyresearch.or...le-to-keep-it/

This article summarizes a few of the changes made to washing machines innrecent years. Trigger warning: the authoring Organization is not an objective source!

Razz, the locking lid issue may not be dictated by the government, I am not sure. But it seems that all new machines have this feature. Yet frugal – one has a machine without it so at this point I don't know who is requiring it, but I don't like it nor do I like any of the energy saving features that definitely are mandated.

Your question above is an either or situation and life is not that simple. In general I like to see less government intervention, and if the government must step in to lock washing machine lids then we are in sad shape in deed.

I don't like the new machines. I bought an older washer at the Habitat Restore. Our local Restore has the machines tested and they come with as warrantee.

As for saving water, we have our machine hooked up to water the garden. Of course, we have to switch that off in winter.

I have an LG High Efficiency top loading machine and really like it. It's probably 4-5 years old now and no problems whatsoever. yes, the lid locks, but if you need to add something, you press the pause button and after 2-3 seconds it unlocks.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Thread Information