Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: clothes washer that works well

I'd be leaning toward a refurbished old-school machine, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    They all suck. Take too long, make moaning,whining noises while they are "assessing" the situation, you cant open the lid without ounchig s button and waiting a required time, you cant set water level (the beast evaulates and senses what is needed) and on and on.

I soulda grabbed one of those new Speed Queen machines and squirrelled it away before that maker adopted the gubmnt's mandates.
    maybe Trumpster will tet rid of that stuff and I can have a normal washing machine.
    I don't know what mandates you mean, and what government regulations are messing with washing machines?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I swear by my Bosch front-loading washing machine. I also have had Miele machines, but they are so pricey, and I don't think they are any better than Bosch.

Quote Originally Posted by IshbelRobertson View Post
    I swear by my Bosch front-loading washing machine. I also have had Miele machines, but they are so pricey, and I don't think they are any better than Bosch.
    Those are great manufacturers--I have a Miele vacuum cleaner which is the best I've ever had--but they are pricey!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I don't know what mandates you mean, and what government regulations are messing with washing machines?
    Water levels. Safety requirements re:open top,while spinning.agitator required. Etc.

Edited t add: the Wall Stret Joirnal has a good summary of the ergulations that went into effect 2012-ish, but it is behind a paywall. There are many many articles bemoaning ng the new designs.

Big govenment at its worst. Because California has a water problem, I (here in the land of free flowing water) have to compensate. Because some small children and adult,idiots apparently have been injuredmby spinning barrels of washing machnes,
    i have to have a lock on mine.

Can you buy a used 38 year old Maytag? lol. My washer and dryer are still going strong (knock on wood really hard!!). I'm thinking it won't last me the rest of my life and I dread ever finding anything as good again. I think I might have to shell out a lot of money for the "best" one.....whichever that ends up being........if there are any out there then.

I would look into the Speed Queen. Their reputation is solid though you may pay more than for a Kenmore.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I would look into the Speed Queen. Their reputation is solid though you may pay more than for a Kenmore.
    I think Speed Queen makes the Kenore washers these days. I believe the manufacturers have to submit proposals of cost with modifications that will guarantee a profit for the retail outlet. This goes for everything these days from mowers, groceries to washer and dryers.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thanks Catherine for the list. IrisLilies- My husband and I were talking about the locked lid....did you ever hear of anyone getting hurt in a washer????? I'm looking...and looking. The washer worked fine today, maybe I'll wait.

Speed Queen

Thread Information