Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip Insurance

Yppej

Trip Insurance

I've always considered flight insurance or a more expensive refundable fare a waste of money, but now that my parents are older I am thinking about it. What do those of you with elderly parents do in terms of contingency planning if anything?

I have not been on a vacation for years and would like to go away, but am worried what would happen if one of them became deathly ill and I am not there at the end. Twice my mother has almost died, but she and my dad now in their 70's are doing as well as can be expected. They could live like other relatives into their 90's, but I just don't know. The flight I'm looking at would be $150 or so extra per person if refundable.

We are headed out on an expensive cruise to celebrate my sister's 65th. her choice not ours. So....we used her travel agent as she requested. Booked cruise, air and hotel 2nights with said agent. We purchased the travel insurance.....first time ever. It was a good buy for the ton of $ we spent.

i think the insurance is about: can I afford to lose that much money if something happens. An airline ticket....yes. This package? Oh hell no!

We dont buy it, although I have thought about it. And now, all but one of our parents are dead. DH's father is alive, and if he should suddenly sicken and die, I am not so sure that DH would cut his trip short. We have several flights for our European trip, and we are also taking a tour on a predetermined route with car and driver, ut that really osnt all that expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I've always considered flight insurance or a more expensive refundable fare a waste of money, but now that my parents are older I am thinking about it. What do those of you with elderly parents do in terms of contingency planning if anything?

I have not been on a vacation for years and would like to go away, but am worried what would happen if one of them became deathly ill and I am not there at the end. Twice my mother has almost died, but she and my dad now in their 70's are doing as well as can be expected. They could live like other relatives into their 90's, but I just don't know. The flight I'm looking at would be $150 or so extra per person if refundable.
    Our credit card has some travel coverage. It depends on the cost of the trip to determine if you want travel insurance.

I would never travel without it. Have needed to use it twice on two spendy trips.

Yppej
    Thank you all. This is not a spendy trip, so I probably will forego it. Trying to go to Hawaii through Expedia turned out to be a nightmare. My new plan is to book direct with an airline and travel closer to home. Motels and rental car I should be able to cancel on much shorter notice. It is only the flight cost I would lose.

Thank you all. This is not a spendy trip, so I probably will forego it. Trying to go to Hawaii through Expedia turned out to be a nightmare. My new plan is to book direct with an airline and travel closer to home. Motels and rental car I should be able to cancel on much shorter notice. It is only the flight cost I would lose.
    Check google matrix to see the best deals for air.

I don;t buy it for flights only but do for cruises which are not that cheap when you add everything up. All our parents are dead but I buy it for us now that we are older in case we get sick and can't go.

Yppej
    I talked to my mom and she got off a medicine she believes caused her most recent problems and is feeling really good. I went ahead and got the tickets without insurance. Because they don't charge baggage fees for what we would need for a week I went with Southwest. When I flew with them decades ago I had a good experience.

I talked to my mom and she got off a medicine she believes caused her most recent problems and is feeling really good. I went ahead and got the tickets without insurance. Because they don't charge baggage fees for what we would need for a week I went with Southwest. When I flew with them decades ago I had a good experience.
    Where are you going for vacation? Sights?

Thread Information