Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ballpark shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    There are plenty of utopian examples where liberty is restricted in order to preserve the peace. North Korea comes to mind. Cuba is really a shining example. Great places to live. You don't hear much about freedoms and rights coming back to bite their populations.

Back in 1970, The Guess Who released a popular album with a catchy little song called "Share the Land". I suspect this is the kind of place you are thinking about. I also dream about a chocolate chip cookie that doesn't make me fat but neither of these exist.

Maybe I'll be there to shake your hand (Shake your hand)Maybe I'll be there to share the land (Share the land)That they'll be givin' awayWhen we all live together, together, together(Shake your hand, share the land)You know I'll be standing by to help you if you worry(Shake your hand, share the land)Now more sadness, no more sorrow, and no more bad times(Shake your hand, share the land)Everyday comin' sunshine, everyday everybody laughin'(Shake your hand, share the land)Walkin' together by the river, walkin' together and laughin'(Shake your hand, share the land)Everybody singin' together, everybody singin' and laughin'(Shake your hand, share the land)Good times, good times, everybody walkin' by the river now(Shake your hand, share the land)Walkin', singin' and talkin', smilin', laughin', diggin' each other(Shake your hand, share the land)Everybody happy together, I'll be there to worry you if you need-a me(Shake your hand, share the land)Call on me, call on me, call my name, I'll be runnin' to help you(Shake your hand, share the land)Everybody walkin' by the river now, everyday everybody laughin'(Shake your hand, share the land)Everybody singin' and talkin', smilin', laughin', diggin' each other
    I'm not talking about utopia WilliamSmith. I'm talking about less violence on a second to second basis in this country. If other countries can do it, why the hell can't we??

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I see some hopeful signs coming from this incident.

For instance, the New York Times retracted that vile editorial claiming there was a more direct line between overheated political rhetoric and the Gabby Giffords shooting than for this case. That was too much even for many on the left to stomach. If the NYT is still capable of shame, at least in extreme circumstances, surely there is a future for the republic.

I was just going to post about that. Can Sarah Palin still sue for that editorial, the stupid version I mean, not the "corrected" version? I like that the NYT editorial writers trot out that old crosshairs story to see if it flies wihout challange. She should sue, that is one lawsuite I would contribute to.

When dmc asks why no one posted yet about this shooting, its because the political shoe is on the other foot. In this old thread, the usual suspects toss around blather that castigates Palin ala NYT. Peas and pods.

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/sho...Gabby+giffords

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    But its not an all-or-none situation.

I know some of you think that if one freedom/right is "adjusted", then the next step is tyranny. I think we can work in small steps...........
    Like the "adjustments" we made regarding booze, drugs, fugitive slaves?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I was just gong to post abput that. Can Sarah Palin still sue for that editorial, the stupid version I mean, not the "corrected" version? I like that the NYT editorial writers trot out that old crosshairs story to see if it flies wihout challange. She should sue, that is one lawsuite I would contribute to.

When dmc asks why no one posted yet about this shooting, its because the political shoe is on the other foot. In this old thread, the usual suspects toss around blather that castigates Palin along ala NYT. Peas and pods.

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/sho...Gabby+giffords
    If you can't blame Fox News, what's the point?

I was also waiting for a thread on the shooting.. hmm. Maybe we're experiencing "shooter fatigue." There's just been so much violence out there lately, we're going to have to break out Public Policy and have a sub-forum called "Tragedy of the Day."
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    If you can't blame Fox News, what's the point?
    Ha ha ha!

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I was also waiting for a thread on the shooting.. hmm. Maybe we're experiencing "shooter fatigue." There's just been so much violence out there lately, we're going to have to break out Public Policy and have a sub-forum called "Tragedy of the Day."
    catherine.......I've noticed that for a long time. And I'm convinced it's because the conservatives on this forum come down hard on the liberals.........and liberals, being less aggressive, don't like that and scatter/give up. I mean seriously.......who can possibly win an argument with a conservative regarding gun laws?

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    .........and liberals, being less aggressive........
    Ha, Ha....Now that's funny.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I guess I didn't start a thread on this because there's not much unique about this one compared to all the others except that the dude that got shot is a virulently anti-gay racist and the cop that shot his attempted killer was a black lesbian. Otherwise it was just a guy following Andrew Napolitano's advice about using the second amendment.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I thought it was interesting too and have wondered for the past two days when someone would start a thread about it.
    But, I guess you have to know your audience. A Bernie supporter intentionally went after a group of Republican Congressmen. No surprise there, and probably justified since we all know that Republicans want poor people to die, women and minorities to be subjugated and the LGBT communities to be vilified.

The entire event was just a poor soul trying to protect himself from evil oppressors. Damned Republicans!
    I debated starting a post about it, Alan, as I found the sitch very much a cause for alarm. Just because someone is a Republican does not mean they should be shot as far as I am concerned......there is no excuse for what took place in Arlington. The only reason I did not start a thread is that everyone here knows that I am a liberal anyway and by now it's pretty much predictable what my take on many issues is going to be. I just hope there are not going to be a string of copycat acts now. Rob

Thread Information