Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ballpark shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    In light of these types of events, I think it is important to be careful about the conclusions we draw about people, certain demographics in particular.

When the Portland Train Attack happened many -- especially SJWs -- shouted about how straight white men are the problem and how "white hate" is on the rise.

But what these SJWs failed to notice was that two white men stood up for the girls who were being harassed by a white supremacist and gave their lives in defense of these girls.

Perhaps this should be a sign that straight white men are actively taking part in the multi-ethnic enterprise of abolishing white supremacy from US culture.

So because one deranged nutjob who happened to be a lefty committed a horrible act does not mean that we should draw broad-sweeping conclusions about demographics this crazy (or evil) man was a part of.
    You make an important point here. I think one difference between the "divisiveness" of today and the more (I think) serious and literate divisions of the sixties may be the intervening half century of cultural infantilization. One of the consequences of that is a sort of triumph of superficiality, relying on various cut-and-paste ideas and stereotypes that don't allow much granularity between individuals and situations. We seem to have limited our social and political vocabulary to a few simple symbols, acronyms and plotlines. Even zip codes.

This leads to comical confusion. You can refer to yourself as "antifa" while putting on a black shirt and attacking people whose ideas you dislike with apparently no idea of the historical association with the Blackshirts of the past. Any violent incident is automatically forced to fit a pre-existing narrative framework. We have simplified our thinking to the point where even the existence of certain ideas or attitudes make some of us feel "unsafe". Get a formulaic phrase wrong, and you are beyond the pale.

At the apex of the great pyramid of cartoon thinking is the white "cis" male. The source of all villainy and the architect of all oppression. Many are unequipped to think beyond that. Even white skittles must answer for their crimes.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...itter-backlash

In my view, the most effective opponent of the Trump Administration is a white man. His name is James Madison.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    You make an important point here. I think one difference between the "divisiveness" of today and the more (I think) serious and literate divisions of the sixties may be the intervening half century of cultural infantilization. One of the consequences of that is a sort of triumph of superficiality, relying on various cut-and-paste ideas and stereotypes that don't allow much granularity between individuals and situations. We seem to have limited our social and political vocabulary to a few simple symbols, acronyms and plotlines. Even zip codes.

This leads to comical confusion. You can refer to yourself as "antifa" while putting on a black shirt and attacking people whose ideas you dislike with apparently no idea of the historical association with the Blackshirts of the past. Any violent incident is automatically forced to fit a pre-existing narrative framework. We have simplified our thinking to the point where even the existence of certain ideas or attitudes make some of us feel "unsafe". Get a formulaic phrase wrong, and you are beyond the pale.

At the apex of the great pyramid of cartoon thinking is the white "cis" male. The source of all villainy and the architect of all oppression. Many are unequipped to think beyond that. Even white skittles must answer for their crimes.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...itter-backlash

In my view, the most effective opponent of the Trump Administration is a white man. His name is James Madison.
    Huh??

Irony after my own heart:

"So let's get this straight. A rabidly anti-gay congressman who recently voted to let mentally ill people have access to guns and who wants to repeal the affordable care act had his life saved by a lesbian when he was shot by a mentally ill person and is currently under hospital care that is being paid for by government-funded health insurance. Sorry, there is way too much irony here to interrupt it with punctuation."--Andy Nicastro

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Irony after my own heart:

"So let's get this straight. A rabidly anti-gay congressman who recently voted to let mentally ill people have access to guns and who wants to repeal the affordable care act had his life saved by a lesbian when he was shot by a mentally ill person and is currently under hospital care that is being paid for by government-funded health insurance. Sorry, there is way too much irony here to interrupt it with punctuation."--Andy Nicastro
    That is priceless!!!! Thanks for posting it.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Huh??
    Checks and balances. Those things progressives are always complaining keep them from getting things done. I would submit that his foresight to act on the principle that "ambition must be made to check ambition" will do more to prevent Mr. Trump's abuses than all the pink hats and SNL sketches in the world.

Oh, okay.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    That is priceless!!!! Thanks for posting it.
    +1

Trump and congress will do enough damage and it won't be prevented of that we can be pretty sure. But I guess we should count our blessing if he doesn't literally blow up the world or something ... (I suspect there are checks and balances there but checks and balances where it actually matters like that aren't talked about much).
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information