Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Amazon and Whole Foods

Yppej
    I'm so glad I have the Market Basket chain in my area. It has good prices and happy employees who fought for and got the company president they wanted.

Yppej: I was thinking the same thing. Market Basket is a local treasure.

Read another local Austin interview and WF execs are actually ecstatic over the acquisition. Lots o changes coming no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Lots o changes coming no doubt.
    Yep. Personally, I don't think Amazon wants to be full-bore in the grocery business; it's a tough business (ask Target, which has approached the business halfway for years now and is paying the price).

Going with WF gives Amazon a bunch of nice fairly-new brick-and-mortar locations and a brand that is somewhat insulated from rock-bottom pricing. It also gives Amazon a place to "showroom" -- I'll bet that, within a year or two, there will be a pickup desk for Amazon Now! (or whatever they call their one-hour service) and Prime orders; maybe a kiosk that sells Kindles, batteries, and memory cards; perhaps even a kiosk with fabric samples for their lines of clothing so you can, indeed, heft the fabric and check the color before ordering. You'll be able to pick up dinner or milk for tomorrow -- even if Amazon has to make those products loss-leaders, it may still be worth it to them. And who knows how WF will benefit from Amazon's knowledge of logistics and supply chains?

I don't know as I see this -- on balance -- as a negative. I'm a bit concerned about the "WALL-E"-ization of the world (muching 365-brand popcorn in front of the Amazon Prime TV series I'm watching on the TV I bought through Amazon...). But then I remember that, for everything they've done, Amazon has yet to turn a profit. Someday they'll have to and expositional moves like buying a grocery chain will have to justify themselves. It's easy to spend other people's money.

Me? I actually like food shopping because I like switching menus for what's fresh or on sale. But I know I'm not representaive of the rest of the U.S. in that regard.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I'm so glad I have the Market Basket chain in my area. It has good prices and happy employees who fought for and got the company president they wanted.

Yep...interesting to do price comparisons, especially when you can compare the exact item.

I just went to the new Whole Foods grand opening in Sudbury, MA. Bought a few good items that were at a DEEP discount for opening day. Jotted down a number of prices on things that WF sold that Market Basket also carries.

Went to my local Market Basket...about 30% cheaper for the exact same brands/items. And cheaper for produce - cut watermelon chunks $4.99/lb at WF, $2.49 at MB.

We got a Lucky's recently; the prices seem very high and it has really hurt the business of the local co-op.
    I was hoping it would be more like Trader Joe's.

Thread Information