Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Retired Minimalists with 5 young kids (had a baby this week) currently living in Oz

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    from another Canadian. Are you homeschooling the children or a blend of public and private? Tell us about your area's climate, primary industry etc so that we can get a context for the minimalist lifestyle in your part of the world.
    We homeschool mainly because we have moved around so much. Brisbane is sub tropical. We are in winter at the moment and it is beautifully sunny. It is too hot in summer, so we go back to New Zealand at that time. I am actually not sure about primary industry and all that. The standard of living here is pretty good. Living costs in Brisbane are much cheaper than where we used to live in Auckland, NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Cossack View Post
    I never would I thought that I would have had 5 kids. But now I can't imagine life without them.
    That is another thing I have heard. By chance, did you have a large family growing up? It was just my mom, my sister, and me until we were both grown. My ex and I wanted 2 or 3, but when I had my 2nd c-section (pre-eclampsia both times) we decided 2 was enough (boy 1st, girl 2nd) and I had my tubes tied when I had my 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I thought New Zealand was part of Australia.
    Not quite. New Zealand is to Australia what Canada is to us.

I never would I thought that I would have had 5 kids. But now I can't imagine life without them.
    I don't have 5, but I do have 4, which is also considered big these days, but was actually pretty normal in the 50s & 60s. I remember someone stopping me in the supermarket shortly after we moved in and saying "Aren't you the woman with ALL THE KIDS??" Gee, it was only 4!! And in order to avoid paying child care for my two babies (Irish twins), I took in kids as a family day care provider.

I also wouldn't trade it for anything. We are extremely close, and they are all extremely close with each other. I am truly blessed--and I'm sure you feel the same way!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by TooSweetForMe View Post
    That is another thing I have heard. By chance, did you have a large family growing up? It was just my mom, my sister, and me until we were both grown. My ex and I wanted 2 or 3, but when I had my 2nd c-section (pre-eclampsia both times) we decided 2 was enough (boy 1st, girl 2nd) and I had my tubes tied when I had my 2nd.
    I am one of 3. My wife has a brother. So, we were not from large families. My wife used to have friends call her by name and say she had a million kids. That was when we only had 3!

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I don't have 5, but I do have 4, which is also considered big these days, but was actually pretty normal in the 50s & 60s. I remember someone stopping me in the supermarket shortly after we moved in and saying "Aren't you the woman with ALL THE KIDS??" Gee, it was only 4!! And in order to avoid paying child care for my two babies (Irish twins), I took in kids as a family day care provider.

I also wouldn't trade it for anything. We are extremely close, and they are all extremely close with each other. I am truly blessed--and I'm sure you feel the same way!
    Both of my parents came from large families. That was common in their generation. Here in Australia we don't get as man comments about our large family like we did in NZ.

I am one of 3. My wife has a brother. So, we were not from large families. My wife used to have friends call her by name and say she had a million kids. That was when we only had 3!
    My ex was 1 of 3 also, through 2 different marriages. His sister and brother were at least 15 years older than him, and he had a nephew that was 5 years younger than him.

Thread Information