Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 50

Thread: Culture wars out of the closet

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,075
    Wow, that guy's billboard should read "Make America blonde again"!

  2. #12
    Senior Member razz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,916
    Just a simple question. Do you as an individual or country decide to respond to those in desperate need due to war, persecution and risk of annihilation or turn away and deny support based on your and their race, religion etc?
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    530
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Just a simple question. Do you as an individual or country decide to respond to those in desperate need due to war, persecution and risk of annihilation or turn away and deny support based on your and their race, religion etc?

    I don't agree with turning away based on race, religion, etc.

    I do think there is a limit as to what we can afford to do for other countries.

    Look at the living conditions for our neediest and it seems irresponsible to be sending any money outside the US.

  4. #14
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,094
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    He still maintains a position in the top 5% by income, and even if he has to be satisfied with a modest $575K shack on the lake, I would say he's doing pretty well.
    So you're saying that no current senator can be a "of the people" person. After all senators currently get paid $175,000 and a household income of $166,200 puts one in the top 5% of income. I would disagree. Some politicians, our current president notwithstanding, are capable of having empathy for people other than and unlike themselves and actually acting on it.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salari...tates_Congress
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afflue..._United_States

  5. #15
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    7,806
    A $575K house doesn't mean much these days. Around here, the simplest cottage imaginable goes for that or more. Bernie seems to me to have been the farthest thing from a greedy oligarch all his life; he's been walking the talk for decades.

  6. #16
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,880
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    A $575K house doesn't mean much these days. Around here, the simplest cottage imaginable goes for that or more. Bernie seems to me to have been the farthest thing from a greedy oligarch all his life; he's been walking the talk for decades.
    So, when Bernie asked "How many yachts do billionaires need? How many cars do they need? Give us a break. You can't have it all", the sentiment only applied to others, not himself? It occurs to me that if you preach the evils of greed and excess while maintaining three homes, you're not quite "walking the talk".
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  7. #17
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,880
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Bernie does not preach "socialism"--he preaches "Democratic socialism."
    What exactly is the difference?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  8. #18
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,094
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    So, when Bernie asked "How many yachts do billionaires need? How many cars do they need? Give us a break. You can't have it all", the sentiment only applied to others, not himself? It occurs to me that if you preach the evils of greed and excess while maintaining three homes, you're not quite "walking the talk".
    So, what do you propose that he and his wife should have done with the money from the house she inherited? Buy some hair shirts or something?

  9. #19
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,094
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think there may be something to the idea that European culture may be in danger of usurpation by immigration.
    Indeed. I suspect the Native Americans would agree with you there.

  10. #20
    Senior Member CathyA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    7,715
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenngal View Post
    I don't agree with turning away based on race, religion, etc.

    I do think there is a limit as to what we can afford to do for other countries.

    Look at the living conditions for our neediest and it seems irresponsible to be sending any money outside the US.
    That's what I believe too. Constantly taking in so many people can bring down the quality of life for those already there. I can see aiding them with money/food (with the help of other nations) to an extent......but when we have so many poor in our country already, why would we want more?

    I'm sorry, but to think that we should/can save the world is just not right. It just can't be done.
    As far as race/religion.......in these scary times, it's hard to not want groups who have the most terrorists to come . I feel like anyone at this point in time, wants to immigrate here, then they need to be people who will definitely contribute in a positive way to this society, and not be just another burden. And how many more people do we want? Do we want to fill up the west? Do we want to fill up every empty space from sea to shining sea?
    If you had a family and some of the children already didn't always have food or clothing, or a good education, would you want to take in all the ones that came knocking at your door? Yes, it might be heartbreaking, but it's just not fair to your own children (as an example).

    The world has gotten too small, and we can't keep trying to save everyone everywhere. It's definitely a difficult thing to figure out. And I don't understand when people feel this way (saying no to people who want to come here)........and make us feel like we're just being cold and selfish. You have to think of consequences of every action. I think we are fairly spoiled in this country and don't have a clue what having too many people and too few resources would possibly be like.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •