Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: need to buy a sofa

Well, cheap and hideous is not exactly what I thought of our IKEA sofas--here is one that was really comfortable and you could switch out the slipcovers:

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    IL, your post about sleeping downstairs with the dog brought back memories of this Christmas, when our golden had her ACL tear, and I moved a single bed mattress downstairs and slept in the kitchen on the floor with her.
    It actually was kind of fun.
    Awww, the things we do for our dogs! Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Well, cheap and hideous is not exactly what I thought of our IKEA sofas--here is one that was really comfortable and you could switch out the slipcovers:
    yes! i like that. The IKEastore had 2 or 3 traditional sofas that were priced right (VERY good price, if Iremember correctly) and looked good.

For me, none of the colors worked.

I like the idea of slipcovers, too. That's a nice, traditional shape.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I like the idea of slipcovers, too. That's a nice, traditional shape.
    Yeah. Slipcovers. Not.

I would be wrestling those suckers on and off the cushions each week. I woild probably break the zipper on the 5th time.

now I toss a bedspread, well, 3 bedspreads, over the sofa and chairs. These bedspreads were purchased to match our walls. I wash them weekly. If people come to the house I can pull them off the furniture and toss them down the basement stairs in 30 seconds.

As it is, when I wash seat cusion covers I ask DH to do the wrestling with them because I have no patience.

I have a seventies' era couch and chair with loose cushions--and four sets of slipcovers. But I never use the living room in this house, so...

The Ikea one above is the style I am looking for except for the rolled arms. I would like more squarish arms. It is very hard to find sofas that still have three cushions but aren't "bigly" long, i.e. 84"+. Found one at LaZBoy that will work but dang, they want $100 to deliver it three miles and then sales tax. I am too cheap I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    The Ikea one above is the style I am looking for except for the rolled arms. I would like more squarish arms. It is very hard to find sofas that still have three cushions but aren't "bigly" long, i.e. 84"+. Found one at LaZBoy that will work but dang, they want $100 to deliver it three miles and then sales tax. I am too cheap I guess.
    Why are 3. Ushions important to you?

We went from 2 to 3 cushions and yes, it is a little longer. I dont know if I prefer 2 or 3 cushions, I guess that doesnt much matter to me. This time around my primary criterea was:loose back cushions.And, available in a yellowy-green color, but that wasnt hard to find.

We had a two cushion couch for years and found that when you have company over, no one wants to sit in the middle on the "crack." And you can move three seat cushions around to adjust for wear. Two cushion couches cost less so might have to go that route in the end.

my custom loveseat/sofa arrived, it's very nice, cost a bit more than mass production, but I can manage, and it was made locally etc.. No complaints so far (I guess complaints would only be how long something will last and who can say at this point).
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information