Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need to buy a sofa

need to buy a sofa

So wondering if any of you have purchased a sofa online? We got rid of most of our furniture when we moved, so it is time to acquire a few things - a sofa and a couple of chairs for the living room area. Have been to the local furniture places, looked at thrift and consignment stores, perused craigslist etc but it seems like the online choices are better priced with more options. Do we dare buy upholstered furniture online?

Go and sit in them a try them out first as some of those available online are most uncomfortable, too low, tip back too far, too hard to get out of...
    I ended up going with four chairs and no sofa - no regrets at all. The chairs get moved into different situations as the need requires with feet pads on their feet. That is wonderful! I have really comfortable dining chairs that I paid a good price for that fill in the seating as needed.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Depends on what you want. I've bought furniture online--when my son moved into his apartment he needed a sofa. I found him a nice one, right in his budget, on Overstock.com. I like Overstock--they have great deals, and they always deliver when they say they will.

I looked at customer reviews, and I was also influenced by the fact that it was made by Serta. I figured it would have to be kind of comfortable. My son loves it, so I guess it's OK.

Here's a picture of the exact sofa I ordered for him--actually he has a very small apartment so I got him a love seat, not a sofa.

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garde...t=brand:Serta|
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yes. Ive been wondering whether or not we need a sofa but like to nap on them too. Its all a hard choice when starting from scratch.

Yppej
    I have two sofas. One my ex got from a friend who was moving. The other I got curbside when my neighbor left it out. Before these two I had one my parents replaced, and before that one a coworker wanted to get rid of. I feel sorry for anyone who has to pay for furniture.

I haven't bought furniture online, but I would hesitate buying a coach or chair without sitting in a similar or identical one in a store. When I was chair shopping, I found a number of attractive ones that just did not fit or were not comfortable. Depending on you budget, a couch can last a long time if you spend for quality. There is a lot of cheap furniture out there made with soft woods and stuffed with cardboard. One benefit of online shopping is that you can check the reviews, but they probably don't reflect long term durability.

I don't know how you feel about the look of futons, but we have one at the beach that I would be willing to have in our current living room. It's comfortable as a sofa and a napping space. It fits most decors...just change the cover. We did buy the upgraded mattress. It's a double. I don't know if they even sell them.

After doing quite a bit of research, it seems like there are only a handful of manufacturers with same items having different names or slightly different fabrics in various stores including online. Kind of like they do mattresses. It's grueling in any case as is shopping for anything these days. Way too many options for someone with my limited decision making skills.

I'm getting a loveseat and visited several different places (not big box stores) that custom manufacture sofas themselves and locally, so I'm not so sure it's all a few manufacturers (because if so, how could there be at least 2 places manufacturing just locally - actually 3 said they did but I didn't investigate the 3rd much).

But I agree it's not easy to buy such stuff, I have no great skill at it, I hope I did ok. Oh I don't get used because a bed bug problem would cause me more headache and expense than it's worth I figure. I have looked at thrift store sofas, but didn't pull the trigger. I wish badly there was no such thing as bedbugs, I get wooden furniture used and never worry but a sofa I opted for new (and custom - well actually yes . I hope I made the right choice)
    Trees don't grow on money

Pinkytoe, when I worked at IKEA, I sat in a lot of our couches and bought one of the greatest couches I ever had--it was made in Canada.
    I vote getting one from IKEA. Good value and decent quality in the couches, and wonderful styling.

Thread Information