Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you buy a house without a driveway?

Wow, Sweetana, I think that is amazing. This is making me think about the parking on the street issue with weather issues. Hmm. I would not buy something in a really cold climate with no parking.
    Catherine, tried to pm you but your in box is full.

I should be good now!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Would not be a deal breaker for me. I like older neighborhoods and current neighborhood has many homes built in the 1920s (mine was built in 1926) and most do not have garages & driveways.

I love houses from the 20's Reyes; it is my favorite era because of my grandparents' bungalow. The front porch was the best; they had a glider and you could read out there in the rain.

In some area's, the parking isn't view-able from the front. A friends house, it looks like street parking, but there is an alley that runs behind multiple homes, to the backside of a business that sits beside the other end of the alley.
    In the three blocks that includes mine, two sets of bungalow's have shared driveways, mine being one of them. When 33's cousin moved, a young couple of lawyers/dog lovers moved in. They moved after their adopted dog attacked (no one knew it had training). Since that time the next owners and their renters have trashed the place. I've had problems with them blocking me in (long driveway, goes property length with parking in back), no help shoveling since I was 14, and some other garbage (renters whose pits went after me in my own driveway). I would not do it again.
    If I were to get one with no driveway, I would consider those two wheel concrete strips, that allow water run off to absorb in the ground, maybe a full concrete pad where I was to park, or grasspavers/grass plugged driveway.
    The houses have been much harder to appraise as well, since there aren't that many around.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    In some area's, the parking isn't view-able from the front. A friends house, it looks like street parking, but there is an alley that runs behind multiple homes, to the backside of a business that sits beside the other end of the alley.
    In the three blocks that includes mine, two sets of bungalow's have shared driveways, mine being one of them. When 33's cousin moved, a young couple of lawyers/dog lovers moved in. They moved after their adopted dog attacked (no one knew it had training). Since that time the next owners and their renters have trashed the place. I've had problems with them blocking me in (long driveway, goes property length with parking in back), no help shoveling since I was 14, and some other garbage (renters whose pits went after me in my own driveway). I would not do it again.
    If I were to get one with no driveway, I would consider those two wheel concrete strips, that allow water run off to absorb in the ground, maybe a full concrete pad where I was to park, or grasspavers/grass plugged driveway.
    The houses have been much harder to appraise as well, since there aren't that many around.
    Good points, toomuchstuff. Gee, that is a lot of dog problems. It is making me rethink my idea of a house in the city!

Our home in California did not have a driveway, or a garage. It was a pre-car neighborhood. There was an alley in the back, and a very small carriage house (not big enough for most modern cars). It was quite pleasant, and you could generally park in front of the house, even though it was a busy neighborhood, or in the alley in the back. About the time I moved, people were advocating for widening the alley, and were tearing down their nice old carriage houses and putting up huge garages so that they could get their SUVs into the alley and park them.

I wish there was an alley. I think alleys are very sensible.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Great points about the snow; they do get some snow there, so I will have to ask the agent aboutparking bans. Thanks!!
    The plus side is they would not have to shovel a driveway???

Before I bought our current house, I lived in a great neighborhood in an apartment building in that had all of three parking spaces in the alley behind the building and which always seemed to be occuped. Loved the neighborhood, loved the apartment, and was OK with parking on the street (bonus: I got really good at parallel parking) -- until winter. Then digging out of the plow leftovers and scraping windows just to go anywhere became a chore. I also contributed too much to the city coffers in tickets for not moving my car during snow emergencies (thank goodness the car was never towed -- that is expensive!). In addition, every Tuesday morning without snow the city swept that street, so the car had to be elsewhere by 7 am those days.

I knew the arrangement was not forever so I endured it. But, when I went house-shopping, street-only parking took a property off my list and having no garage moved it well down the list. It's a hassle to coordinate where one can park. I always had to make sure there was nothing "attractive" visible through the car windows lest someone decide to take it. Parking outside is tough on cars (getting it out of the wind helps a lot when warming up). It would have to be a dream home for me to deal with that again.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3
    My brother finally built a house with a garage. He loves it. Maybe we are all getting soft?
    DW and I discuss that kind of thing periodically. Garage door openers -- who needs them? Get out and open or close the door; takes 30 seconds Now that we have one, though, it sure is unpleasant to get all cold and/or wet just to close a door. Power windows in the car -- who needs 'em? Now that we have them, though, reaching across the interior to operate a window seems archaic?

Maybe we are getting soft.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information