Thread: Grenfell Towers

Grenfell Towers

I plead guilty to being outside of the news bubble for a few days or so, but in my relaxed combing-through-the news-on-a-Sunday mode, it just came to my attention that over 70 people died in an apartment building because of the gross negligence/lack of regulatory oversight. Over 10 days ago! Where was I??

I know dmc started a thread on why we weren't posting about the Congressional shooting, which actually occurred around the same time. Other news items of those days, June 14 and 15, were the Jeff Sessions testimony, and the Bill Cosby trial.

I understand that our news coverage focused on what was happening in Washington that day, but 79 people died in the UK and the news has barely touched it??

Am I missing something? Have I missed extensive CNN coverage, or NYT coverage? Do you think the media covered it adequately, or am I just unaware?

Anyway, to our friends in the UK, I am absolutely horrified by this tragedy.
    Last edited by catherine; 6-25-17 at 12:00pm.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

We had the news on on the day of both events and both were covered pretty evenly, but we do watch BBC news. But it seemed to be covered quite extensively on the evening news.

I thought it was covered pretty extensively at the time, and has now moved on to coverage of the other council housing units which are not up to code, resulting in forced evacuation of residents.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

OK, so it sounds it's me just not paying attention.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    OK, so it sounds it's me just not paying attention.
    It was reported extensively, and that news came through to me even though I dont watch video news (cnn, fox, etc.)

It was widely reported because it took place in a country where this kind of thing doesnt happen. Were it Bangledesh or Bogata etc where we perceive corruption as the norm, it would have been a one day story.

I was in Portugal at the time and it was all over BBC and other television stations.

It is the lead story every day here as more and more tower blocks are listed as having sub-standard cladding.

I saw it everywhere. My son is a firefighter and all I could think about was those poor firefighters. So many stories have come out in the days following from the people who got out and those that didn't but sent messages. Tragic.

Thread Information